Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
[UPDATED] How I got GTA V to run trough WINE
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Seth Nov 3, 2015
Hello,

It took me 5 days and huge amount of tea to rewrite this tutorial (most of the time was spent on downloading this freaking thing, should have bought the bloody DVDs) so if you have any questions ask and thy death shall be granted... and possibly an answer too.

And I swear if it starts to bloody rain again now that I finished this I will seriously break something!

PLEASE BE WARNED!
The performance sucks for some reason, so don't expect miracles there, getting it to run was a miracle enough, don't get greedy now!

Thank you.

VIDEO GUIDE OF THE ENTIRE PROCESS AND SOME GAME PLAY:
VIDEO GUIDE

[SKIP THIS PART IF YOU ARE NOT TECH SAVVY AND YOU DON'T WANT TO BE CONFUSED]
I have two Nvidia GPUs (GeForce GTX 980M) in SLI, and I have set up SLI a while back using a tutorial I found online, I tried to find the tutorial again just so I could link it here, but I was unsuccessful at it. I will try to retrace my steps and maybe make a tutorial about it, but that's a bloody HUGE MAYBE if I don't manage to find the original tutorial.

If it helps at all I saved a link to tutorial on official Nvidia's documentation site on how to configure SLI, though it says
QuoteMobile GPUs are NOT supported!
the tutorial I followed explained how to do it on a mobile type gpu (which is what I have). I don't remember it almost at all but I remember that I first had to install NVIDIA Drivers ver: 340.93, then I had to take some files from them, download some project, add those files to the project and then compile it. Then I had to download NVIDIA Drivers ver: 352.55 and then I replaced something with the thing I just compiled. Along those lines somewhere is what I did. And then I did something, have no recall what, and after that I had to recompile my kernel (i know, i bloody know!) and then a reboot. Then I followed the steps at the link above like I had a normal gpus and voila, worked like a charm, never touched it since.
[END SKIP]

So what you'll need is GTA V (Steam version), WINE, WINE Tools and PlayOnLinux

In PlayOnLinux go ahead and select GTA San Andreas as if you will install it, choose "Use a set-up file on my computer" and then when it asks you to browse for a file click cancel.

Now go to where your PlayOnLinux virtual drives are stored ('/home/seth/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/' in my case). You should see "GTASA" folder, rename it to "Steam".

Now go back to PlayOnLinux and search for Steam. Start the installation and it should offer you to "Choose a virtual drive name", choose "Steam", then choose to overwrite. After that just install Steam as regularly.

Now go ahead and select Steam drive (the one you just created) in PlayOnLinux and click configure.
Go to "Install components" and install the following: d3dx10, d3dx11, vcrun2010, vcrun2012, vcrun2013, wine64b
Now go to "General" and change WINE version to 1.7.54

Now click "Run" in PlayOnLinux for Steam. Let it bloody update even though you just installed it. Log in to your Steam account.
Now start downloading GTA V... Why didn't I buy the bloody DVDs?!
Once it's done go to where it's downloaded ('/home/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/Steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/' in my case) and delete "Grand Theft Auto V" folder. Once you have done that you go and drink a cattle of tea mixed with some something strong like chlorosulfuric acid because you just downloaded 60GB and deleted it!

And now we are off to downloading it again. (WHY DIDN'T I GOT THE BLOODY DVDS?!)

After all of this you can go ahead and run the game.
Now be careful! Game crashed for me like a few billion times while I was changing settings, you will learn eventually which options you can mess with and which you cant even look at the wrong way, or at all for that matter. Resolution is out of the question, or at least it is for me. I tried to change it also a few billion times and it crashed every single bloody time, just leave it as it is. In my case it is my native 1920x1080 resolution. Refresh rate was set to 60Hz and I managed to change it the first time I ran the game to 120Hz but then I plugged in my HDMI cable to play the game on my plasma and it dropped back to 60Hz, any attempt to change it since was a waste of time (just like this tutorial) since the game just crashed every time.

There maybe a way to change the settings through editing the cfg file, but I have no bloody idea where is it stored, nor do I want to know what would happen when you try to change it. I just left everything as it was being happy I can play it at all.

As I said the performance sucks (but it is maxed it out fully, so maybe it's just that), controls are bloody horrible sometimes since they lag or don't recognize I pressed a key, and when switching characters I choose the one I want and then I wait for 20-30 sec, for which time the game freezes, for it to switch but after that runs 'smoothly' again.

Bloody cheerio!
wolfyrion Nov 3, 2015
try to use from AUR wine-gaming-nine , it will take some time to compile but you will get better performance :)
Seth Nov 3, 2015
Thanks for the tip, will try.
Spl-it Nov 3, 2015
I honestly didn't think the game would even run with wine, talked about it last night in the IRC too, nice one :D

ps: If you could find the SLI tutorial or tell me what you did to activate and even use SLI without the system going haywire that would be great
Seth Nov 8, 2015
Quoting: Spl-itI honestly didn't think the game would even run with wine, talked about it last night in the IRC too, nice one :D

ps: If you could find the SLI tutorial or tell me what you did to activate and even use SLI without the system going haywire that would be great

I spent 5 days rewriting this so that people could run it. I used 3 different systems and tried it on each so I am sure it works on Ubuntu x64, Arch x64 and Antergos x64 (it's Arch distro I bloody know!).

About the SLI I think I gathered up how to set up the SLI without as you have put it "system going haywire", I should be able to make a tutorial just not sure where to post it really
EyesBlue1988 Mar 15, 2016
how run on steam GTA V windows retail DVD?
Nyap Mar 16, 2016
Could this work with other games?
EyesBlue1988 Mar 17, 2016
someone have tried gta v retail on wine? how can i play gta v with linux?
Nyap Mar 17, 2016
Quoting: EyesBlue1988someone have tried gta v retail on wine? how can i play gta v with linux?
Just sell your physical copy and use the money to buy the steam version. Unless you're desperate to keep your save files, in which case maybe you could maybe backup the saves and use them in the steam version?
EyesBlue1988 Mar 18, 2016
Quoting: Nyap
Quoting: EyesBlue1988someone have tried gta v retail on wine? how can i play gta v with linux?
Just sell your physical copy and use the money to buy the steam version. Unless you're desperate to keep your save files, in which case maybe you could maybe backup the saves and use them in the steam version?

you have installed gta v steam version on linux with playonlinux.? how work gta v steam trought playonlinux wine version steam :). Let me know how work i try to install steam for windows trought playonlinux.
sr_ls_boy Mar 18, 2016
What is the purpose of downloading this game, deleting it and redownloading it?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.