Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Our new game linux also
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Chasers Apr 19, 2014
Hello
I want to present our new game 'Chasers',
Chasers is a new multiplayer game and its main game mode "chase" is a new and not yet existing game in the multiplayer world.
The gameplay is fast, combine styles and elements from different Genres.
We still need the crowd help to finish the development, please support us through our indiegogo page if possible, so this game will be online and playable soon.

Hope to have your support as linux gamers

Enjoy our Campaign page:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-chasers/x/5855675#home

Thank you : )
![]( https://images.indiegogo.com/medias/1358244/pictures/full/20140418130310-logo.png?1397851393)
Speedster Apr 20, 2014
Your campaign page looks nicely done (nice art!) but I'm afraid you're going to be very disappointed with the response because you start out with 4 strikes against it:

1. Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter
2. High goal (and flexible funding)
3. free-to-play
4. no demo or alpha available to show

I've been watching video game crowdfunding for a couple years now, but you don't have to take my word for it, go look at the data for yourself.

Here is a table that has a large sample of Indiegogo game projects (namely, ones that promised Linux support) from the last couple years. Sort on "funds raised" and you'll only *one* project that would have met your goal, the famed SkullGirls DLC. The only other game in this sample to break $100k was Starforge, which got tons of good press from gaming sites (see quotes at top of http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/starforge ). Also note all of the top 5 funded games in this sample chose fixed funding, which indicates that my backer buddies who are dubious about flexible funding are far from alone (personally I don't even use Indiegogo, only kickstarter so far).

If you're really serious about this project, consider getting it going in stages, starting with a limited demo that is good enough to get people excited enough to donate money and/or write good reviews. At that point, consider coming back with a bigger kickstarter campaign, and even then the goal should be smaller than your current one. Not that $220k is at all a large amount for making a game, but backers generally don't want to provide enough funds for a game unless you're already famous for making great games. Other sources of funding (like unpaid work by project owners) is almost always necessary.
Chasers Apr 20, 2014
Hi, thank you for the detailed comment.

Update for in - depth look over the gameplay is already in the making.
I agree with a lot of what you wrote except for the indiegogo part, i think it is a very good platform, but like in kickstarter the promotion is huge part.

Support us if you like the game.
Speedster Apr 20, 2014
In theory they should be similar, since the services are similar, but in practice the community at Indiegogo doesn't have a lot of interest in gaming. Did you look at the actual numbers in that table I linked? There also have been a few direct comparisons, where a project moves from one to the other -- moving to from Indiegogo to kickstarter can help,

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/19/4446652/frontiers-indiegogo-campaign-shuttered-relaunches-on-kickstarter

but I have never seen a game project succeed by moving from kickstarter to Indiegogo.

I might be inspired to make an Indiegogo account someday to support some worthy game project, but it would probably be a fixed funding project that was borderline on whether it would make it. So far that circumstance hasn't come up...

Anyways good luck in finding Indiegogo backers, and keep us posted if you later decide to try kickstarter.
BillNyeTheBlackGuy Apr 20, 2014
Quoting: Speedsterbut I have never seen a game project succeed by moving from kickstarter to Indiegogo.

You should probably do some research before you say something like this.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lords-of-xulima#home
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1446315704/lords-of-xulima-an-epic-story-of-gods-and-humans

There have been plenty of successful indiegogo games. You just have to look a bit harder.
Speedster Apr 21, 2014
First I'll apologize for the negativity, since obviously that's not what the Chasers team was hoping for when starting this post. However I still think my points are true, and I was hoping to let them know that the weak reception is probably not because of how the game itself looks.

Quoting: BillNyeTheBlackGuy
Quoting: Speedsterbut I have never seen a game project succeed by moving from kickstarter to Indiegogo.
You should probably do some research before you say something like this.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lords-of-xulima#home
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1446315704/lords-of-xulima-an-epic-story-of-gods-and-humans

There have been plenty of successful indiegogo games. You just have to look a bit harder.

No, this has to be a failure to communicate...

You must think I said something like "Indiegogo projects are never successful" (an exaggeration of what I was really trying to say, that they are almost never successful to the tune of $100k and up).

I remember Lords of Xulima well, both campaigns having been covered here at GOL Funding Crowd (TFC#19, TFC#23.1, and that is not at all a counter-example of my point: the kickstarter for the same project got almost THREE TIMES as much as the Indiegogo, which is actually evidence in favor of one of my earlier points: the same project tends to do better on kickstarter than Indiegogo.

There could certainly be an exception, where a project did poorly on kickstarter and had a great comeback on Indiegogo, since I have not been tracking crowdfunded games without Linux support, but Xulima is certainly not that exception.
Chasers Apr 24, 2014
Btw, why you are not following crowdfunded games without linux support ?
Speedster Apr 24, 2014
Quoting: ChasersBtw, why you are not following crowdfunded games without linux support ?

Not interested in them, since I only run Linux... nowadays there are enough quality games supporting Linux that I never buy windows games and just hope they run ok in wine, let alone backing projects for games that might never run right on my system.

The fact that Indie developers like you are bothering to support Linux was the motivation for me to get into crowdfunding, instead of just waiting to see how games turn out like most gamers -- it's nice for us backers to be part of a team helping Linux gaming really take off.
Apr 26, 2014
Quoting: SpeedsterThe fact that Indie developers like you are bothering to support Linux was the motivation for me to get into crowdfunding, instead of just waiting to see how games turn out like most gamers -- it's nice for us backers to be part of a team helping Linux gaming really take off.

I think this applies to many of us -- I just don't bother with Windows games any more.
HadBabits Apr 27, 2014
Quoting: SpeedsterI might be inspired to make an Indiegogo account someday to support some worthy game project

What I've always enjoyed about IndieGoGo is that they don't require an account :) (Also they take your money on the spot, and refund it at the end if they aren't successful, which is much easier for a working stiff)
Danny Apr 29, 2014
How exactly "free to play" will be be?
I'm interested about the exact monetization model you're aiming for.
Asking this because it's usually cheaper to play "paid" games than those fee2pays
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.