You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Best Controller?
sev Oct 27, 2014
Right now I'm using a PS3 controller, but it does not get recognized as a controller by my system, so I use it in mouse/keyboard compatability mode.

This is not ideal and I am seeking to upgrade. I wanted to wait for a Steam controller but I don't knom if I can wait that long.

So what is everyone using as a controller? (I mean, besides your mouse and keyboard; I want to use a console style controller). Here are my requirements:

1. Must be wired (I have no bluetooth)
2. Should be recognized by Linux as a gamepad/joystick. I am assuming that narrows it down to Xbox controllers but I could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Znurre Oct 28, 2014
I am using GameCube controllers through one of these adapters: http://www.amazon.com/GC-Controller-Adapter-for-PC/dp/B0089NVTDM

Imo, the GC controller is the best controller ever made, comfort wise.
This adapter works OOTB on Linux with rumble and everything and can be used with most games.
That said, most games have hardcoded Xbox Controller mappings without any way to change them and in those cases this won't be a good choice since the axis and button mappings differs.

Also, you should be able to use your PS3 controller as a controller.
I've been playing Smash Bros through Dolphin on my computer with me using GC controller, and friends using PS3 and Xbox Controllers.
The PS3 controller worked OOTB, but you had to press the PS logo button on the controller in order for it to be usable.
HadBabits Oct 30, 2014
Quoting: GuestUnfortunately my Xbox 360 controller is wireless so I can’t use it (I prefer the PS2 pad anyway).

If you do any couch play, I highly recommend getting a wireless 360 adapter. I got one myself and it worked right out of the box :)
kevie Nov 6, 2014
As much as I hate to admit it, the xbox 360 controller works really well on my system and is actually an excellent controller. I got a hold of a wired controller and it has a standard USB connection. I plugged it in and it was recognised straight away, the analogue thumb sticks are extremely responsive (as are the action buttons), the vibrate feedback works well and overall is an excellent gaming pad.
Crash Nov 6, 2014

I use the Logitech F710! Linux Support, two input modes, tiny USB 2.0 dongle, amazing battery life, and it's recognized as a controller. It's wireless VIA USB so it shouldn't be a problem with your Bluetooth dilemma. The only downside is that the back triggers detect the amount of pressure being applied, and mine lingers at 0.02%, which angers some games.
lucifertdark Nov 14, 2014
I have an Afterglow AX.1 Xbox 360 controller & it works perfectly on everything I've tried it with so far.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.