Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Phoronix and their Blizzard reporting
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Nov 10, 2014
As much as I keep trying to respect Phoronix (Michael) for his benchmarking work, this is another blow for me.

Phoronix is the source of the "confirmation" that blizzard was bringing Linux a game in 2013, with no sources.

Turns out after my twitter chat with Michael that it was a "surfing buddy":
https://twitter.com/upurtweet/status/531899510273101824

So, again Phoronix was reporting rumour as fact, and not following up on it, at all.
EKRboi Nov 11, 2014
lol. I hardly ever read his rumor posts. I do check up on the site, because in general it is an easy way to keep up with non gaming Linux news.. but he does post some of the most obviously "click bait" articles I have ever seen.
Liam Dawe Nov 12, 2014
It just frustrates me that I want to like the guy, but the repeat non-sourcing and reporting rumour as fact ruins his work.
EKRboi Nov 13, 2014
Agreed. I mean how hard is it to just add the word "rumor" to you headline? EVERYONE likes rumors whether it is about a game or who your friends mom is screwing lol. So it's not like it would detract from his page views.
dubigrasu Nov 16, 2014
Well, he was reporting a while back that Steam will come for Linux. No one believed it and he was mocked and ridiculed aggressively.
He was right after all.
Liam Dawe Nov 16, 2014
It's easy to say x will come out for y and claim you're right about it if it does eventually happen. Yes he was right, but it took how many years?
dubigrasu Nov 16, 2014
Could be, but the article was not made at random hoping that someday will become true somehow.
IIRC it was based on Linux bits added by Valve in their earlier Linux works found in Steam's code.
What does it matter how long it took? He was right from the very beginning.

I have deep respect for this guy, he goofs occasionally and he's annoying at times but overall he is doing a great job for the Linux community.
It could be me though, I tend to be very forgiving about people that are really doing something.
The work he is putting in that benchmarking suite alone is quite something to admire.
dubigrasu Nov 17, 2014
Yep, I checked a bit the timeline and he spoke about it earlier than what I remembered.
Yet he was onto something.
He does some annoying things sometimes and he is not what I would call a reliable journalist.
But overall he is a valuable contributor to the Linux community, both because of his site and benchmark suite...heck, the guy is like one of these Duracell powered toys.

And yet, I don't really get what's with all the hate and disdain he receives.
And it troubles me that I see signs of it even here.
Liam Dawe Nov 17, 2014
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: dubigrasuCould be, but the article was not made at random hoping that someday will become true somehow.
IIRC it was based on Linux bits added by Valve in their earlier Linux works found in Steam's code.
What does it matter how long it took? He was right from the very beginning.

I have deep respect for this guy, he goofs occasionally and he's annoying at times but overall he is doing a great job for the Linux community.
It could be me though, I tend to be very forgiving about people that are really doing something.
The work he is putting in that benchmarking suite alone is quite something to admire.
He was incorrect from the very beginning. It was being reported as official, but there was no word that it was.

Here's the source of most people's hate for him dubigrasu. That one part of Mirv's reply summed it all up, including the original topic here.

He constantly reports things as fact, when they aren't even remotely fact. Baiting headlines, confirmations with no sources.

He doesn't link to sources (like us), but has no problem using quotes from other websites (like us) without any attribution.

It's extremely disrespectful to me and others who take time to speak to game developers, to use what they say to us without sourcing us, and Mike does this a lot to us and other sites.

I've spoken to him over email, and he sounds like a nice guy, but even after nice chats he continues to poach information we gather directly, and not source us.
dubigrasu Nov 17, 2014
.....did I stepped without knowing in a feud here?
Liam Dawe Nov 17, 2014
There is no feud, just stating facts.

I don't hate the guy at all, just think he needs to change the way he reports things.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.