Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Muder in the Hotel Lisbon: retro point n click adventure
kevie Nov 18, 2014
Following the recent re-enactment of throwing the rattle out of the pram by Minor Key Games it made me start looking at some retro games which I thought looked rather interesting and maybe even tempt me into parting with some of my hard earned cash.

One such title which caught my eye was Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon, a retro point'n'click adventure. I have to admit to being a sucker for this genre, having wasted a great deal of my teenage years going through the classics like Monkey Island, Loom, Day of the Tentacle etc. But this takes us back even further to a time when the normal way to load a game was via a cassette tape, OK the graphics are better than those of the Spectrum or the Commodore 64, but there is heavy influence from this time period. The resolution of the game is set to 256x192, the same resolution used by the rubber keyed compact classic known as the Spectrum 48K.

(This next part is taken directly from the official website, they are not my journalistic skills)
A strange murder has occurred in the Hotel Lisbon, a man committed suicide with 14 stabs to the back while at the same time he peacefully drank his coffee. This case with contradictory facts was too complex for Policeman Garcia to solve, so he decided to hire the only detective duo in town capable of solving it: the mythical Detective Case and the unmistakable Clown Bot.

Together, they will solve a network of love relations so complex and so intricate, that it would take at least 14 clairvoyants, 5 apocalyptic sect prophets who can predict the end of the world and 3 of those gypsies that can read the palm of your hand just to guess the final outcome.

There are also several reviews of the game on YouTube and I have to say that this is seriously tempting me to splash out. I really liked this bried, yet informative review by BitShiftTV:
View video on youtube.com

The game is available in a variety of places, including:
Official Website
Steam
Desura
Humble Store

The only thing that I haven't heard anybody speak about is the length of the game, some of these indie adventures are great while they last, but too often (mainly due to lack of manpower/money) they feel that they are over and done with way too quickly. If anybody has played it then please let the rest of the community know your thoughts.
Speedster Nov 19, 2014
Thanks, I'll check out the review soon. Will let you know how it goes if I end up playing it...
flesk Nov 19, 2014
I've played the game a bit and I quite liked it (I've even written a Steam guide for the stand-up minigame). One thing that ruined it slightly for me though is that the English translation is pretty bad. If you can look past that, it's a very interesting adventure game with a lot of stuff going for it, including "side quests", hidden collectables and easter eggs.

Looking at it now, I see that it would actually be a great fit for the games I curate on Steam, so thanks for reminding me of this game. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.