Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Alt-Tabbing
Yu0 Nov 28, 2014
I noticed that in many games (Dungeons of Dredmor, Faster than Light in my case) Alt+Tab doesn't work when running the games in fullscreen mode. Running such games in windows often is no real option (e.g. because the UI is not scalable and thus requires playing at a lowered resolution for a convenient UI size).

What are your experiences? Is this a widespread problem? Are there workarounds?
Liam Dawe Nov 28, 2014
Some games just flat-out don't support it sadly, and it's a lot of the time because they use old software.

It has gotten better with newer games that's for sure!
flesk Nov 30, 2014
A workaround I use successfully with some games that break Alt-Tab is to launch them on another virtual desktop. Switching desktop sometimes works even when Alt-Tab does not.
Hamish Nov 30, 2014
On some SDL games one can also Alt-Enter to place the game in a window and then Alt-Enter again to restore it back to being fullscreen.
PublicNuisance Dec 14, 2014
I think it's a rare issue. So Far only 1 out of 46 games I tested wouldn't Alt-Tab properly. I have mainly tested on Windows so it may be an issue of sloppy Linux ports. I haven't tested enough Linux games to make that call yet.
Xpander Dec 16, 2014
yes the issue is super rare.. i havent seen a game that doesnt let you alt+tab or switch wrokspaces (alt+ctrl+arrowkeys) lately.

depends on WM also i think. on linux alt+tab is not the same as for windows
same function on linux is alt+f9 which minimizes the thing
alt+tab is just for switching between different windows and sometimes you need to hold it a bit longer to bring up the list
Yu0 Dec 18, 2014
Quoting: Xpanderon linux alt+tab is not the same as for windows
same function on linux is alt+f9 which minimizes the thing
alt+tab is just for switching between different windows and sometimes you need to hold it a bit longer to bring up the list

As far as I can tell the function of Alt+Tab and Alt+Shift+Tab is the same on plain Ubuntu 14.04 and Linux Mint LXDE as it is on any Windows system (switching between the last two windows or bringing up the Window-switcher), the only difference being the behaviour and design of the switcher. I cannot remember ever having used a Linux distribution, where the default behaviour of Alt+Tab wasn't roughly the same as on Windows (or vice versa), though admittedly I first used Linux only a few years ago.

So there seems at least some level of misunderstanding here :-/

@PublicNuisance: I see the problem exclusively on Linux, with games that worked fine on Windows.
Xpander Dec 18, 2014
what i actually meant that on linux alt+tab doesnt minimize windows but it brings anotherone on top ..so if you are running a game and alt+tab to lets say terminal window.. it brings terminal on top of the game window unless the game is programmed to loose focus when not on top.

with alt+f9 you can minimize window

well thats with MATE desktop.. which is gnome2 from the old days... but as far as i know most DE's use the same system.. dunno about recent gnome3 or unity versions though
Hamish Dec 18, 2014
Seems to work the same in Xfce at least.
PublicNuisance Dec 21, 2014
I had an interesting experience today that may help some of you. I was playing Shadowrun returns and when I go to run the game I am always presented with the option to either run or run in terminal. Both will run the game but if I choose run in terminal then Alt-Tab doesn't work but if I just pick Run it will.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.