You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
[UPDATED] How I got GTA V to run trough WINE
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Nyap Mar 20, 2016
Quoting: EyesBlue1988
Quoting: Nyap
Quoting: EyesBlue1988someone have tried gta v retail on wine? how can i play gta v with linux?
Just sell your physical copy and use the money to buy the steam version. Unless you're desperate to keep your save files, in which case maybe you could maybe backup the saves and use them in the steam version?

you have installed gta v steam version on linux with playonlinux.? how work gta v steam trought playonlinux wine version steam :). Let me know how work i try to install steam for windows trought playonlinux.
nope, i haven't tried this tutorial because I have a toaster laptop. If I had a proper gaming PC i'd definetly try it tho
Nyap Mar 20, 2016
Quoting: sr_ls_boyWhat is the purpose of downloading this game, deleting it and redownloading it?
Yeah, if we could find out what that does then maybe we could do it manually instead of going through the painful process of downloading a 50GB game twice
EyesBlue1988 Mar 21, 2016
Quoting: Nyap
Quoting: sr_ls_boyWhat is the purpose of downloading this game, deleting it and redownloading it?
Yeah, if we could find out what that does then maybe we could do it manually instead of going through the painful process of downloading a 50GB game twice

if you have solution for download 65 GB + dlc :) full game trought social club downloader
mattsturgeon Mar 28, 2016
Has anyone bothered to try this? Looking through the instructions I can't see any logic to it (especially since wine dx11 is only just starting work on 2D support!)

The delete and redownload screams of obvious trolling to me, but bizarrely no one is complaining.... Somebody please kill my false hope!
TheRiddick Mar 28, 2016
Does GTA5 have a DX9/10 mode? thought it was DX11 only? Also I'd be interesting in knowing how well it runs on a 290 or 390 series card since AMD cards are meant to be better for running stuff under Wine?
StianTheDark Mar 29, 2016
I think GTA has support for DirectX 10 (To support the people on Windows 7, presumably. Wasn't DirectX 11 a Windows 8 thing?)
LinuxGamesTV Apr 1, 2016
Quoting: StianTheDarkI think GTA has support for DirectX 10 (To support the people on Windows 7, presumably. Wasn't DirectX 11 a Windows 8 thing?)

?????????

No Vista have DX 10, Win 7 DX 11 and Win 8 are on DX 11.1
Xaero_Vincent Apr 3, 2016
Even Vista has support for DirectX 11 with the "platform update" but GTA 5 can work with DirectX 10 or 11.

I wouldn't be surprised if GTA 5 has begun to work in Wine as a result of all the DirectX 10/11 code Codeweavers is implementing into Wine. However, downloading the game twice as suggested by the op seems illogical and the video doesn't seem too convincing with it's transitions.

Even if it doesn't work in Wine, you could technically play it with virtualization. In fact, you don't even need GPU passthrough as VMware has advanced enough with it's DX10 support and virtual GPU. That said, there is some stutter with the gameplay and you need a powerful GPU and CPU and plenty of RAM to allocate into the VM.

GTA 5 in VMware
EyesBlue1988 Apr 5, 2016
any news GTA V wine running?
EyesBlue1988 Apr 24, 2016
someone have begin test wine GTA V PC working?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.