You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
MaximB Feb 14, 2011
Hello !

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play is an upcoming smartphone based on Android 2.3 that runs Playstation games and is being supported by Sony.

The question is how did they port/convert the PS games to Android ? or is it some Emulator ?

More info here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_Xperia_Play

Thanks
Maxim.
Rustybolts Feb 14, 2011
QuotePlayStation Suite is an upcoming software framework that will be used to provide downloadable PlayStation content for devices that meet the forthcoming PlayStation Certified requirements. Currently, this includes devices that both run Android 2.3 and meet specific unnanounced hardware requirements, and the Sony Next Generation Portable. The framework will be cross-platform and cross-device, which Sony refers to as "hardware-neutral". It is currently set to be released before the end of calendar year 2011

To me that reads that the games are not PS games and are completely a new format "Playstation Suite"

Looking forward to it, it also sounds as though different manufacturers will be able to produce phones that are compatible with the new "Playstation Suite"
QuoteIn addition, Sony is starting a new program known as PlayStation Certified to assure that the Android device is able to run the content smoothly. Currently the only device to be certified is the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play

[URL='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_Xperia_Play'][/URL]
Rustybolts Feb 14, 2011
A little digging and this explains it better. (highlighted in red text)

QuoteSony just dropped a bomb on the Japanese stage -- not a single PlayStation Phone, but a PlayStation Phone experience for everybody. The company unveiled a cross-platform software framework called PlayStation Suite, which sounds rather boring in those words, but what it amounts to is an official PlayStation Store filled with games for your Android tablets and cellphones. Sound familiar? Sony's starting with an emulator for existing PSOne titles and is promising an Android game store later this year, but soon it might be much, much more: the company's calling PlayStation Suite a "hardware-neutral" development framework to make games portable for all sorts of handhelds, and says that "new and exciting content" is also on the way.

Sony will sponsor a first-party licensing and quality-assurance scheme called PlayStation Certified, and provide the marketplace as well, likely hoping to attract major game developers to build top-tier titles for mobile and get a piece of the action too. If your device doesn't have a pop-out gamepad handy, it looks like PlayStation Suite will emulate touchscreen controls, and you won't necessarily need a phone to get in on the action, as Sony says the next-generation PlayStation Portable will be compatible with games developed for PlayStation Suite right off the bat. Doesn't look like we're getting any details on game prices or compatible devices, but we imagine one particular phone will change all that at Mobile World Congress next month.

Update: Looks like PlayStation Suite requires Android 2.3 at a minimum, and it's PSOne, not PlayStation Portable titles that will be emulated here, despite Kaz Hirai's quote during the festivities. PR after the break!

[[/URL]

[URL]http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/sony-announces-playstation-suite/](http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/sony-announces-playstation-suite/)
How about releasing the playstation suite on Linux Sony! (just a thought!)
Hamish Feb 14, 2011
Interesting, I did think to myself a little a while ago that the Smartphone and the rise of Tablets would mean the death of the PSP and dent Consoles in general.... I guess I was right, to a certain extent. :D
MaximB Feb 14, 2011
So it's an Emulator....mmm...well better then nothing.
But still a "mobile" game isn't the same quality as a PC or a Console game,so yeah most old titles will probably be in the same quality.
But God Of War 3 won't be in the same or near the same quality as on PS3.

But yeah I agree that releasing that Emulator for Linux or as FOSS will be great, and I also heard rumors that the latest Final Fantasy game will have a native Linux client.
tweakedenigma Feb 18, 2011
I am really looking forward to this :D
Brandon Smith May 22, 2011
It's also possible to play any Playstation 1 game on a PSP, so long as you have it running custom firmware. I think the PSP comes with a PSX emulator. It works pretty well.
Liam Dawe May 22, 2011
I actually almost got this phone a few weeks back, but i opted for the Samsung Galaxy S2, but i still kinda wish i got the playstation phone....

I guess i can wait for version 2 :).

Good thing is the girlfriend currently has my old contract which gets upgraded next year, my next contract the year after - so the way ive timed it with two contracts...i get a new phone every year :D
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.