Vertigo - hardcore arcade game
amireh Apr 24, 2011
Hi guys! I'm not sure if my project is worthy of posting here, but it's the first game I ever release and I'm very excited about it :P

Vertigo is an arcade game that is completely free, open-source and cross-platform. I built it using Ogre and BulletPhysics. For Linux, I tested on the following distributions: Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and Debian Lenny.

I would greatly appreciate any linux feedback because I have relatively little experience with deploying apps on linux.

The gameplay in a nutshell
You are a probe which is set with 2 shields to protect from fire and ice drones, but only 1 shield is active at a time. You will engage zones, each of which might have a different game mode and different objectives, and you'll be briefed once you're in. You have to flip shields in time to protect yourself, and you can possibly move left and right to avoid some obstacles. It's a pure reflex game, a brain teaser :D

Gameplay trailer
The trailer shows all 4 game modes and 3 of the camera modes. I made it HD, which took 3 hours to upload to YouTube using my laughable 2mbps Jordanian connection, so watch it in HD!!! :D
[media=youtube]6x6BfZNGabc[/media]

Screenies
You can see different states of the game in a couple of the zones below.
[
[
[
[

Links
Try it out! You can find everything at www.vertigo-game.com.

I hope you find it fun, and I'd love to hear any kind of feedback!
amireh Apr 25, 2011
Hi,

Vertigo source is now available on GitHub @ https://github.com/amireh/Vertigo

Feel free to join in with any code review, comments, or flames.! You can find me on IRC @ irc.freenode.org#vertigo - I'm known as kandie

Cheers,
amireh
Rustybolts Apr 25, 2011
Cheers for the info! :cool:
Hamish Apr 26, 2011
Quoting: "amireh, post: 1581"I made it HD, which took 3 hours to upload to YouTube using my laughable 2mbps Jordanian connection

:confused:

You are complaining about 2mbps per second? Seriously, at the very best we can get 100kbps and with that we have a 20gb bandwidth limit. A lot of the time we are stuck simply on a dial-up connection as well, which has the advantage of being uncapped but with that the best you can get is a about 8kbps and only if you dedicate it to only one machine.

I sometimes have to browse with only bytes per secound.

Just giving you a bit of perspective. Your game does look interesting by the way. ;)
amireh Apr 27, 2011
Hi guys,

I'd like to announce that a blog for Vertigo's updates and news has been launched. You can find it at: http://blog.vertigo-game.com stay tuned for updates! It provides RSS feeds as well.

QuoteYou are complaining about 2mbps per second? Seriously, at the very best we can get 100kbps and with that we have a 20gb bandwidth limit. A lot of the time we are stuck simply on a dial-up connection as well, which has the advantage of being uncapped but with that the best you can get is a about 8kbps and only if you dedicate it to only one machine.

In truth, it is still quite laughable compared to what Europe / US / Japan have. But yes, it's not the worst! BTW, most ISPs here have a 10GB bandwidth limit, and should you hit that, you're capped down to 128kbps or less. :D

Cheers,
amireh
Hamish Apr 27, 2011
Quoting: "amireh, post: 1597"In truth, it is still quite laughable compared to what Europe / US / Japan have. But yes, it's not the worst! BTW, most ISPs here have a 10GB bandwidth limit, and should you hit that, you're capped down to 128kbps or less. :D

Hey, I know that, but compared to me it is still nothing to complain about. Do you have to pay extra after you hit the limit or does it just slow it down to what would be our best speeds?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.