Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Linux gaming rig?
Wulfgar Mar 4, 2012
hey folks,

I'm getting ready to build a new Ubuntu box, and I want to focus the hardware on gaming in general. MMO and local hard drive games both.

Any advice on websites that show me good setups? Any advice on how to get started? Things to watch out for? Things to make sure I include?
Alex V.Sharp Mar 12, 2012
Hello, sorry for the late reply. It's been kind of chaotic around here for the last few days.
Making a good gaming PC is very similar to making a multimedia-specific computer. It needs as much RAM and CPU as you can provide. Having a good graphic card is also a requirement. It doesn't have to be the latest - but one from last year should be enough. You can go check out this site build-gaming-computers.com where they've outlined all the necessities in detail. In the end it all comes down to how much money you can spare.

Good luck! :)
Xpander Mar 12, 2012
also. get nvidia card if u want to play games through wine.
ati/amd (prop)drivers are quite a mess and open source driver perf isnt there yet
Wulfgar Mar 12, 2012
Thanks for the info Alex! I'll check out that link.
whizse Mar 15, 2012
It isn't Linux-specific by any means, but get an SSD.

It's hands down the best upgrade I've done in ages.
Liam Dawe Mar 21, 2012
Would love an SSD myself, the timings are awesome.
storma Mar 24, 2012
Agreed on the SSD. I recently built a new system then after a couple of months bit the bullet and dropped a SSD in just for the system files. I was instantly converted. ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.