Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
OnLive
Kame Apr 22, 2012
So, decided to try out OnLive in wine the other day, and I must say that I was quite impressed. I'd never used OnLive before so I didn't know what to expect, but after trying the Dead Island 30 minute trial I decided to buy a "PlayPack" (access to a list of games which is constantly being expanded for 9.99 a month) which is currently on sale for $2.00 for a months access.

Everything runs very nicely with no real noticeable latency. And just to test I booted into windows and installed OnLive there, as far as I can tell running it wine runs just as well as running it in windows. Anyone interested in trying can do the following:

Hard way: Build the latest version of wine from source with the raw input patch.
Easy way:
1) Install PlayOnLinux
2) Downlaod OnLive here http://www.onlive.com/d/windows/OnLive_Setup.exe
3) Run PlayOnLinux
4) select tools, then select 'manage wine versions' install version 1.5raw3 on x86 and amd64
5) Click Install
6) Click at bottom of window "Install a non-listed program"
7) Click next
8) Make sure option "Install a program in a new virtual drive" is selected and click next
9) Give it a name, e.g. "OnLive"
10) Select "Use another version of Wine" and click next
11) Select "wine 1.5raw3"
12) Browse to OnLive-Setup.exe
13) Install OnLive
14) Select the OnLive.exe, click next then type the shortcut, click next
15) Click "I don't want to make another shortcut"
16) Launch OnLive and try some of the free trials!

Instructions mostly stolen from: http://onliveinformer.com/2011/09/04/community-hack-allows-linuxwine-users-to-experience-onlive/
CzarnyNalesnik Apr 22, 2012
Is possible play for free from Europe in demo versions of the games?
Hamish Apr 22, 2012
Nice, though in the end, they should just release a damn Linux client already. Seriously, how hard would that be?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.