Linux gaming problems and solutions?
berarma May 17, 2012
Hi. I'm a web developer and long time supporter of free software and GNU/Linux. I like games and ocasionally play some, but if I want to play some of the best and newest games I'm forced to run closed binaries which I don't like. It's not just that I loose the freedom I've come to expect of the software I run, there are some problems associated to the closed binaries.

While I'm supportive of game developers on GNU/L, I don't like the fact that so few care about the importance of the software being free. A lot of their problems come from their lack of knowledge of the GNU/L platform but even more because they release only closed binaries.

They often argue that our platform isn't ready for games, or that diversity is bad, indeed, they're bad at supporting their games in the new platform. That would be easily overcome by releasing the sources to their games but they won't, there's other solutions they could develop but they won't neither.

I think free software is the future and games will have to be that way. Game engines should be free, the only thing that might be non-free is the content (game logic scripts, text, audio, graphics, video,...). That would make it a lot easier to support games on more distros thru new versions. It would make it easier for developers to come up with new games, all they would need is improve the engines cooperatively with other game devs and distro devs, and then create the content for their game. Now, noone is thinking about this, a lot of games are started from scratch or from poorly written codebases, doing the same programming again and again.

Ok, they won't do that, but then why make it hard for users by packing half the libraries the game needs? Why don't developers make a pool with the libraries their games use and release them with every game? When problem arises, they'll blame it on GNU/L diversity, why not try to learn a better way?

The same issues could apply to Windows or Mac users in the near future. Who will support their games when their OS stops being supported and they have to upgrade to a OS that's incompatible with the games they bought? With Windows that's not much of a problem with a release every 10 years, but what would happen if it started improving at the time rate free software improves?

In general, I have a bad feeling about the way games are thrown and then left orphaned, sometimes blaming the platform. Kickstart projects don't make me feel much better, they put GNU/L as an option when some high landmark is reached, what happens with GNU/L users that paid when that landmark isn't reached? We're being treated like 3rd class citizens when we're paying as much as others, some times more.

Thanks if you read it all. What do you think?
Pablo Jul 13, 2012
Hi, nice article. I was not going to answer it, but by just thinking about some OSs, I can't hold it.

If there's some belief in justice, OSs like Windows won't be used anymore in a while. It's been some time since I started using Ubuntu, and I don't really care anymore if it's better or not than other OSs. They don't go around offering tricky offers, bringing more problems than solutions, treating you like an ignorant customer whit complex words and entangled sentences to make you believe there's something still worth the risk.
Just look how services like OnLive, Gaikai (recently bought by Sony, for sure you must know) and playable videogames on Chrome changed the idea we had about videogames in the market. Or the old known question about consoles that companies don't wanna hear: why buy a machine that won't have any use in 10 years when I can buy a pc that can be upgraded, play console's videogames and make use of lots of services? It's all promises, tricky marketing and lies.

In my opinion, if Linux mantains this kind of service, at some point they'll stand out.

Cheers from Argentina.
Liam Dawe Jul 17, 2012
This is why I love open source engine remakes it keeps old games alive! Things like OpenRA, Openxcom etc are quite important.
Ultimoore Aug 18, 2012
I think another big problem with Linux gaming is the fact that, If I was new to Linux which I already am to an extent. There are so many Linux Gaming sites its hard to know which one to go with. All the websites are great with great people running them but I wish there was a Unified website combining all news, tips and what-have-you for Linuix gaming on one site... kind of like Comicvine or Giantbomb.
Liam Dawe Aug 19, 2012
There will never be one unified website, that is the nature of the net itself to be diverse. The same applies for Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox, PS3 etc...all have masses of websites.
Ultimoore Aug 19, 2012
thats true. I never really thought of it in that way.
berarma Aug 20, 2012
The message I wanted indie developers to think about is that everyone, devs and users, could benefit largely from using open source tools and engines instead of working each one on their own stuff. Instead of whining about the lack of gaming support on GNU/Linux better invest work or money into open source tools/engines, in turn they could end up having better tools on all platforms.

Thinking in this vein I think it would be cool having the Humble Bundle accept donations for open source gaming projects of general interest like SDL and others.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.