Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
How investors view games...
KIAaze Oct 2, 2012
Not really GNU/Linux related, but just found this while looking up some starcraft 2 news:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/896471-activision-blizzard-how-a-change-to-starcraft-2-could-increase-revenues

It's horrible to see how little they care about actually satisfying gamers... It's seems it's all about getting the most out of the people already having the game instead of trying to get new customers... He doesn't even ask why Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 had less buyers than expected.
I know it's not surprising, but it's the first time I've seen such an article.

[I used to play starcraft a lot in the past and was quite excited about starcraft 2 coming out, but I'm part of those who never bought the game for several reasons (DRM, no GNU/Linux support, etc). The only reason I'm still more or less interested in news about the game is because of the story.]
Liam Dawe Oct 3, 2012
I actually play a lot of Starcraft 2 and his suggestions are so stupid, it would really pain me if they put in something like custom unit skins, the whole point of an RTS to have single skins for units is so you can identify them quickly. The guy has obviously no idea what he is talking about in terms of gameplay....what can we expect from an "investor" when really he's just some annoying blogger thinking he knows better than a huge company doing really well.

I don't see how SC2 has the worst business model at all, it's a commercial game, it's meant to be built and sold which is exactly what they are doing, you can guarantee most players will buy the expansions as well further increasing revenue for them.

If SC2 came out with subscription fee's a lot of people would drop it in favour of the other masses of RTS games out there.

I really hate that this is how some people view games - as a cash cow rather than an actual game.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.