Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
A thought for GoG...
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Hamish Dec 19, 2012
Looking at Doom 3: BFG, I just had an interesting thought - what if GoG started selling titles with just the game data for use with source ports? That would require no support from GoG other than a large disclaimer, and would be an excellent service for Linux gamers. In the aforementioned case, I would love to have the game data so that I could help bug-test the recently released source-port but I am not willing to buy a Steam game to get the data for it.
Liam Dawe Dec 19, 2012
Why though? I mean when you could buy the actual game and get the same?
Hamish Dec 20, 2012
For those who would rather not buy Windows binaries and dig through an install to get the data.
Liam Dawe Dec 20, 2012
Ah yes good point it would prevent people having to resort to wine to install.

That said I doubt a website like gog who provides games will ever do data only.
Hamish Dec 20, 2012
I know it is not likely, but it would be something that would do well to cater to old school gamers. I mean, many people on Windows buy some of the games just to put them into a source port, let alone the Linux and Mac markets. Just make a separate download option attached to a game sale.
FireFlower Games Jan 6, 2013
How would that work?
Hamish Jan 6, 2013
Just sell the game data without the binary.
Might be something for FireFlower Games. Would that be in a single file?
Hyeron Jan 6, 2013
Quoting: "FireFlower Games, post: 7540, member: 409"Might be something for FireFlower Games. Would that be in a single file?

The way I'd see it, again: tgz, nixstaller, mojo, etc.
So customers can just buy the data files, slap their favourite port onto it, and be done with it. Additionnal value: give links to ports. But that could be overkill already.
Hamish Jan 6, 2013
Well, you need to get rights to some some games that had their source released, but yes that would be lovely if you can manage it. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Commercial_video_games_with_freely_available_source_code

My suggestion, try talking to 3D Realms - it would be nice to sell the data to Wolf3D, ROTT, DN3D, or SW (although SW needs better source ports).

id would be really nice (everything from Commander Keen to even Doom3: BFG) but they are not even on gog, so I doubt the climate there would be that receptive. :(

Quoting: "Hyeron, post: 7541, member: 223"The way I'd see it, again: tgz, nixstaller, mojo, etc.
So customers can just buy the data files, slap their favourite port onto it, and be done with it. Additionnal value: give links to ports. But that could be overkill already.

I think just having the needed data in a tarball or a zip file would be fine (keep in mind, this does not just apply to Linux gamers, but retro gamers on all platforms).
Ok, email to 3D Realms sent. :) I might need some help later on if they are interested. I don't know much about that kind of stuff. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.