Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Record opengl/blender games
CzarnyNalesnik Dec 29, 2012
Hi,

I'm looking for a game recorder. I used early "Gamecaster" (GUI for glc) but it doesn't work in KDE. So, I tried glc. Recorded nice, but when I wanted to play this..

Quotedamian@damian-Studio-1749:~$ glc-play java-8328-0.glc
damian@damian-Studio-1749:~$

..nothing happened..

You know more apps like this? Would be best when they would be dedicated for KDE.
Hyeron Dec 29, 2012
Quite frankly, the only decent results I got so far were with qt-recordmydesktop. glc is basically useless on x64 systems, and I couldn't find any other decent alternatives. If someone else knows of a better solution, I'm quite interested too.
Hamish Dec 30, 2012
I actually have my own project for providing a GUI for glc:
http://piga.tropicalwikis.com/wiki/Soul_Capture

This is the 1.0.0 version so not everything is as good as my own development one though. Waiting on getting some new hardware to add some requested options before I put out a new release.

Other than that, I would suggest you invest in understanding ffmpeg if you want the best in non-OpenGL specific screen capture.

Edit: Someone is apparently working on a new version of glc with new features such as PulseAudio support:
https://github.com/swick/glc2
Hyeron Dec 30, 2012
Arch also sports a glc-pulseaudio-git branch. Doesn't change the fact that I (and I presume CzarnyNalesnik too) use an x64 system, where glc SEEMS to record, but can't playback.
If you had a hand in Soul Capture though, HOW THE HECK DO YOU PARSE A STEAM COMMAND LINE THROUGH THIS THING? :D
Seriously, I tried it (and apparently it's still installed from AUR), but never could get it to record a Killing Floor session. :/
Hamish Dec 30, 2012
Using the Steam launcher? Search me...

Can you try and bypass that and point it to the actual application you wish to run?

I did not even know it was in AUR though. :D
Hyeron Dec 30, 2012
Actually, that depends. Games that do not rely on Steam too much work fine* by using a simple .sh indeed; others won't work that easily. Killing Floor for example, could technically be started by a .sh, but for experience, achievements and DLC, using a .sh means no steam, throwing you back to level 0 with 0 exp, no DLC, and no achievement unlocking (which of course in turn unlock more stuff in-game - skins, in this case).

* apart from the glc problems where it can record but not playback, and can only encode the video part of things. No sound at all, apparently things break when it comes to that. All x64-related from what I've read here and there.
Hamish Dec 30, 2012
Unfortunately when it comes to the x86 problems I can not offer you any help. Try contacting the guy working on the new glc and make sure he is aware of them though.

I might just put out a new Soul Capture release for New Years though since my hardware order keeps getting delayed.
Hyeron Dec 30, 2012
I know, it was more to illustrate the fact that, under x86, everything /should/ be fine. ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.