What distro do you use?
Page: «5/5
  Go to:
Quoting: pleasereadthemanualArch.
It's been 2 and a half years, but still Arch.

But also Fedora Silverblue now, and maybe Fedora Workstation on my main computer in the future unless I can figure out how to set up dual-booting on Fedora Silverblue/Kinoite.

I like having a base system that remains undisturbed while doing my own thing with disposable Toolboxes and every graphical application managed through Flatpak, undisturbed by shared library updates. And I like Fedora's free software philosophy and general polish.

Quoting: pleasereadthemanualI have the fewest problems on Arch. It's easy to use, and the AUR solves so many issues easily.
This is still true. But instead of the AUR, it's mostly Flatpak nowadays.
openSUSE since 2004 / 2005.

Well actually started with SUSE Linux 10.something before they named he community version to openSUSE.
So I "moved" to openSUSE later on and went with all versions 11, 12, 13, 42, 15, Tumbleweed, Aeon, Kalpa

My first experience with Tumbleweed was horrible and moved back to Leap.
A while later I was "forced" to move back to Tumbleweed because I got new hardware some day which was too recent for the current Leap release (15.1 I believe) and Leap wasn't working with it at all. In the 2nd attempt Tumbleweed was a smooth sailing until 1 1/2 years ago which is when I moved to openSUSE Aeon.

What I don't like about openSUSE is configuring printers using YaST. This almost never works out of the box and you need to set up things manually. In all other aspects YaST is a very good and powerful tool no clue why printers are such a pain there.
Something which I also wish they'd improved over the years is the installation of multimedia codecs and nvidia drivers.
I mean you can get both things very easy on openSUSE but it is not very straight forwards. Especially for new users.
For nVidia drivers you have like 3 different ways of installing the driver. A "One-Click installer", using YaST / zypper or do it manually the hardway using the installer from nvidia.

For codecs it is a similar story. You first need to enable a 3rd party repo (Packman Repository) not run by openSUSE and then install all sorts of codecs from there. Or you install a cli package called opi and run opi codecs which does the above for you. However this repository runs out side of the openSUSE ecosystem can cause all sorts of issues. Not very often but sometimes it does which is annoying when it happens.

Anyway I still questioning why the openSUSE devs didn't ease up the process of getting the drivers and codecs for new users a little with some sort of first-run utility or maybe right in the installer?

What I like about openSUSE? Oh boi *takes a deep breath* You get a distribution (family) for all sorts of uses cases first hand. Without requiring to run a fork of a fork to enabled / disable certain features. openSUSE is very flexible. It usually does not come in "flavours" as you can simply choose your favourite DE / WM right in the installer.
They serve their distro for all sorts of CPUs, x86 64bit / 32bit, aarch64, arm, RISC-V, PPC. No need to run a fork either. Same distro, same maintainers, same repos, different architecture. Very noice.

Their solution for community repos is also very good. Instead of running them off 3rd party servers or requiring the user to compile stuff locally from the AUR. You get free access to a cloud infrastructure where all openSUSE packages are build and you can just submit your own package there to your very own user repo.
This also eases up the possibility to make your new package part of the main repos as you can simply create some sort of a pull request and a core maintainer will checkout your new software, look at the source, validate what it does, reviews your build receipt and eventually will give you a go and merge it with the main repos.

The community is also very nice. Sometimes short on words. But that is fine with me. Usually you get quality answers to your questions and good solutions for some issues you might have ran into.

Out of all Linux distributions and distribution families I ran so far openSUSE was in most cases the best computing experience I had.

From time to time I play around and experiment with other distros on a spare system to get an idea of what is happening outside the openSUSE bubble. Because the openSUSE project likes to go it's very own ways without caring too much what others distros do.

Meanwhile I moved to openSUSE Aeon and Kalpa on my systems. They are vastly different form the traditional openSUSE versions I talked about before. They are immutable, self-maintaining, self-healing and rolling releases which favour flatpaks.

What I don't like about Aeon is Gnome breaking extensions every new release. The shadow side of running an automated rolling release: You get new versions of Gnome before most extensions where updated. But that is more like a general Gnome issue than specific to Aeon. Maybe I'll move all my systems to Kalpa as soon as it leaves the Alpha.

What I like about Aeon and Kalpa: They solved the codecs issue as apps are from flathub.
They solved the Printer issue as YaST is not part of the system and printer now just work out of the box as they should.
They ship with distrobox which unlocks them to use any package of any Linux distribution out there. So in case you miss something on flathub you can get it as a native package from any Linux distribution. Also they integrate very well with the desktop. Something like BoxBuddy, a distrobox UI, shipped by default would be nice though.

All in all I am very happy with Aeon and Kalpa. I mean I run them on 5 PCs for a reason I guess.

Other distros I am (activelly) running are

SteamOS on Steam Deck dual booted with openSUSE Aeon (for desktop use)

What I don't like about SteamOS is it somehow feels a bit flunky to me at times.
Sometimes there are random issues with games not starting, sound issues after long periods of standby and sometimes it just randomly crashes... Valve somehow managed to build the Windows experience into the system. Reboot to solve your issues.

I even sometimes run into the issue that the power options are shown, the background is blurred out but with the controller you can only navigate stuff in the currently blurred background ... I did not yet found which combination of actions lead to this issue but sometimes I managed to get to this point. Usually when the Deck is hooked up to a TV and I sit like 3 meters away and have no touch screen to bypass the issue.

With the lack of something like Distrobox I deem SteamOS also not very suitable for a Desktop OS. But that is okay. It's a gaming handheld. As a gaming handheld it does a hell a good job. If it is not randomly flunky. Which tbf does not happen very often. But annoying if it does.

Also I wish the Steam Store Page would be more controller friendly. Duno. Browsing the Steam Store on the Deck feels hard, or not so well integrated like literately everything else.
Sometimes it randomly jumps around when selecting another element or it has selected an item outside of the view or below another item.
Some buttons are not even reachable with the controller especially in the steam community section. Sometimes items are miss aligned and you only see like the top 50% of them.
If you ask me they either need to implements an entirely different store front for the Deck than for Desktops. Or a massive overhaul of the current store to fix this.
Under some circumstances the help bar at the bottom of the screen showing the controller glyphs manges to span 2 lines because some text is too large and wrpas around if the deck is set to German. Which then reduced the available area of everything above. The Deck UI does not like this at all and almost everything is misaligned in that case or only partially readable because it is covered by the bottom bar.

What I like about SteamOS? Like everything! I generally love the controller UI. Except the store. How well everything integrates and such. I love things like decky loader which offers so many new great things. Wine Cellar, love it, Decky Recorder, love it, Auto Flatpak, love it. Screenshot Uploader, hell yeah! In all honesty for just a gaming handheld I can nothing but recommend this well made little device. Gaming wise it is the most hassle free Linux system I ever used! For basic desktop tasks it is fantastic! Watching YouTube or Netflix on your TV for example. I love to do this while eating and then afterwards boot straight back into the gaming mode without leaving the couch!

Also navigating the Desktop with an external controller works unexpectedly well too. With the on-screen-keyboard not needing to rely on the GUI toolkit used by an application to work is fantastic! Unlike Gnomes on-screen-keyboard which somehow only works in GTK apps ... and there not even always.

RaspberryPi OS on a Pi 4 serving as a container host for various network services

Well there is not much to dislike or like tbh. It's Debian and the age of the software is not important as it is a container host anyway.

I once ran openSUSE MicroOS on that thing but I had a little of bad luck with this all so well crafted self healing server distro which made me switch back to something different.
Somehow I managed to hit a time frame in running that system where the U-Boot package was broken with one update. Which is kinda of an issue with a self-updating and rebooting system. If the boot loader is borked you won't get to the point where it could fix it self in rolling back to a previous snapshot.

Therefore RapsberryPI OS it was out of lazyness.

3x LibreELEC on two Pi 3's and a Pi 400 for home entertainment systems.

Well not much to dislike here either. I use it for a very specific purpose. The only purpose it was made to serve. So yeah. What should I say. It serves it's purpose.

Primarily to not need to rely on the good will of TV manufactures in supporting your TV and the software. With LibreELEC and Kodi I know things will work and there will be working plug-ins and such.
Ofc sometimes they need manual troubleshooting and the quality of some Plugins can vary but in the end I have the same system running (on) all my TVs and I know the drill and how to workaround certain issues. Or be it just manually downloading the git repo of a plugin with a hot fix, deploy it on the TV and wait for the Plugin to get updated/fixed in the official repos in the coming weeks.

It updates all it's software itself and if it breaks its a matter of minutes to flash a fresh image on the Pi and restore a Kodi backup to not need to setup all the plugins again.

That's it for me. Sorry for the lengthy read.

Last edited by Vortex_Acherontic on 20 June 2024 at 3:26 pm UTC
BlackBloodRum 6 days ago
Uhh.. can I change my answer? I kind of switched distro's since then
picnick404 5 days ago
Latest ver of Ubuntu.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.