You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
What distro do you use?
Page: «6/6
  Go to:
sonic2kk Aug 2
Been using the same vanilla Arch with KDE Plasma installation for the last approx 6 years now, installed """by hand""" (before the archinstall script, but not "by hand" in the way veterans seem to remember Arch). I had just tried Proton and decided it was time to get rid of my Windows partition. I hated having to boot into Windows and dealing with it breaking every few months was a nightmare. I came from a MacBook Pro dual-booted with Linux where I primarily used Linux over OS X, and hadn't used Windows on a machine I owned since Windows XP. The partition was very much only around for gaming, and Proton killed it back with Proton 3.16.

When I was dual-booting Windows, I was using Antergos at the time but it became defunct around that time iirc, so I planned to try out endeavourOS, but its installer kept crashing, so I went with vanilla Arch (fwiw endeavourOS works flawlessly these days, the problems I had were literal years ago!!). I had installed Arch on a laptop for school some time before so I had an idea of what I was getting into. I had every intention of continuing to distro hop at my usual pace, but I never did. Now, Arch is my go-to for new hardware.

I think I really just like Arch because it's familiar to me and I know how to configure it the way I like. The AUR is fantastic, just gotta be careful about what you install and manage your dependencies.

As for something I don't like about Arch, minor breakages can be annoying, although they're almost always my fault. A package I installed 4 years ago suddenly broke controller support and I had to spend a long time figuring that out. Also, while I love the flexibility pacman, I still need to look up the flags for less-common actions after all these years. They just don't stay in my head.

The biggest issue I had with this installation was that a few years back, the kernel package went missing and Arch wouldn't boot, so I had to install the `linux` package again from a live session (I think I had to use arch-chroot? I don't remember the details). The Arch Wiki helped immensely. I have had the same issue on other distros (Ubuntu GNOME back in the day broke for me) and while there was probably an equally straightforward way to fix it, I felt like the Arch wiki docs made it much easier. Then again, it all comes down to your search-fu.

I like my Arch install, I have become very fond of it.

Last edited by sonic2kk on 2 August 2024 at 2:34 am UTC
For the past year, I think, I've been using ChimeraOS, mostly because it was immutable, so less chance of me screwing it up. However, I occasionally try to migrate to vanilla Arch, every time with KDE, hoping that I'll like it, but I quickly get reminded that some things in Plasma are done in the most unintuitive way possible. Like, in order to enable autologin, I have to go to Appearance & Style, then Colors & Themes, then Login Screen (SDDM), then Behavior... Long story short, I'm installing Arch GNOME right now, gonna see how long it'll last.
Cyril Aug 2
Quoting: Avehicle7887I've started to hit a few walls recently and it's requiring me to learn new stuff.

Do you have some examples?
Quoting: Cyril
Quoting: Avehicle7887I've started to hit a few walls recently and it's requiring me to learn new stuff.

Do you have some examples?

The Nvidia NVK driver comes to mind where it requires a more recent version of Rust than my system does. Another example would be the OpenMW engine requiring a modern version of Qt. Both of these 2 examples require me to compile the Rust and Qt toolchains themselves before attempting to compile the projects depending on them. I'm yet to succeed with these 2

For the most part it's just a matter of integrating newer libraries into the system before compiling the actual project. Getting newer Mesa drivers on this system was probably the biggest of them all. I had to compile (LLVM toolchain, newer GCC, newer Python as well as some small libraries which Mesa depends on). As of recently I had to learn how to properly compile, configure and integrate a newer version of Xorg server as it was too old to run the Zink driver.

I could do away with all of this by installing a modern distro or a rolling release version, however I wouldn't learn much doing so.

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 3 August 2024 at 11:19 am UTC
As a noob that used Linux since June 18 i use Fedora Linux KDE Plasma. Because it looks like Windows and it's up-to-date and stable at the same time. It's same as Windows for me.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.