Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
What distro do you use?
Page: «6/6
  Go to:
Cyril Aug 2
Quoting: Avehicle7887I've started to hit a few walls recently and it's requiring me to learn new stuff.

Do you have some examples?
Quoting: Cyril
Quoting: Avehicle7887I've started to hit a few walls recently and it's requiring me to learn new stuff.

Do you have some examples?

The Nvidia NVK driver comes to mind where it requires a more recent version of Rust than my system does. Another example would be the OpenMW engine requiring a modern version of Qt. Both of these 2 examples require me to compile the Rust and Qt toolchains themselves before attempting to compile the projects depending on them. I'm yet to succeed with these 2

For the most part it's just a matter of integrating newer libraries into the system before compiling the actual project. Getting newer Mesa drivers on this system was probably the biggest of them all. I had to compile (LLVM toolchain, newer GCC, newer Python as well as some small libraries which Mesa depends on). As of recently I had to learn how to properly compile, configure and integrate a newer version of Xorg server as it was too old to run the Zink driver.

I could do away with all of this by installing a modern distro or a rolling release version, however I wouldn't learn much doing so.

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 3 August 2024 at 11:19 am UTC
As a noob that used Linux since June 18 i use Fedora Linux KDE Plasma. Because it looks like Windows and it's up-to-date and stable at the same time. It's same as Windows for me.
BlackBloodRum about 10 hours ago
I'm still on Gentoo since my switch a year ago. But.. I have to say.. it is the best distro I have ever used, so flexible. I really love this thing and it's genuinely given me back my enthusiasm for the technical aspects of linux (that kind of faded off a bit due to all other distros very hand holding these days).

I Gentoo.
tfk about 7 hours ago
My best memories with Linux come from Mandrake. But that was years ago.

This is what it looked like:

Currently I'm using Fedora KDE on my desktops and laptops.

My SteamDecks are running SteamOS of course.

I recently built a custom retro machine using a Raspberry PI 5. I added a cooling solution to it and a m.2 ssd adapter so I could run Raspberry PI OS / KDE from it.

I put it in a transparent Amiga 500 case from a1200.net and cabled it up with a1200's accessories kit and some bits from Amazon.

From icomp.de I got a custom Keyrah board which allows original Amiga peripherals to be connected as USB devices. This way I could use an original Mitsumi keyboard from an Amiga 500 which fits the case. Also original joysticks can be connected now. I replaced the beige key caps with black ones from, again, a1200.net.

That's all I've got running at the moment.

Last edited by tfk on 4 October 2024 at 8:58 am UTC
rcrit about 2 hours ago
I never had an Amiga but boy do those cases look cool! And the fact that they engineered them to take a Pi as a replacement CPU and be able to use the native keyboard is awesome.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.