Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
V-Sync not working randomly (Nvidia RTX 4070 - Fedora 40)
lordgabor 6 days ago
Hi all,

I have a strange issue: I have an Nvidia RTX 4070 card, and I am using Fedora 40 currently, and somtetimes vsync does not work in game, I have heavy screen tearing for a few seconds (up to 10-20), and then it gets back to normal. When I started using Fedora a few months back I didn't have this problem. The system is not overheating I checked both the CPU and GPU temps. I also checked via mangohud, and strangely I don't see FPS drop either, it is staying on steady 60 fps, just with the heavy screen tearing. It happened to me with Talos Principle 2, Snowrunner, and rarely with Resident Evil Village. Has this happened to anyone else, where should I start to check, to find the root of the problem (is it the Nvidia (closed) driver, mesa driver, kernel, etc), which log should tell me more? Thanks for the tips in advance.
Ehvis 4 days ago
I've had vsync issues on the KDE desktop and in some games. Basically an almost static tear somewhere on the scream. Not temporary I think, but it's not always in the same place so it may move out of sight. The only relevant thing that could be it is a recent driver update. If I see it again tonight I may downgrade it to test.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.