The Wildlands Expansion Is Live: UO Outlands Hits New Milestones.
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
rek2 Jul 17
The highly anticipated Wildlands expansion for UO Outlands is now live, bringing a plethora of new content and features to enhance the player experience. This expansion introduces a new expansive area called Wildlands, filled with unique dungeons, challenging monsters, and rich lore, ensuring endless adventures for players.

Since its launch in October 2018, UO Outlands has continuously strived to deliver an authentic and enhanced Ultima Online experience, attracting a dedicated player base. Over the past three weeks, the shard has seen a peak of over 5000 users, with an average of 3000 daily users and 4000+ every weekend. This consistent engagement highlights the community's enthusiasm and the game's enduring appeal.

**About UO Outlands**

UO Outlands is a free-to-play Ultima Online shard set in the T2A era. It offers a custom world map called Avadon, featuring nine new cities, eleven dungeons, and over 200 points of interest. Players can explore a richly detailed world with unique monsters, extensive lore, and a variety of engaging activities.

**Key Features of UO Outlands:**
- Custom World Map: Explore the fully custom Avadon map with new cities, dungeons, and points of interest.
- New Gameplay Mechanics: Experience revamped systems such as Skill Mastery, Aspect Mastery, and unique PvP events.
- Player-Centric Enhancements: Enjoy the game's no Pay-to-Win model, extensive customization options, and modernized gameplay mechanics.
- Strong Community Support: Engage with an active community through forums, Discord, and a comprehensive wiki.

**Getting Started**

To join the adventure, visit the UO Outlands website for installation instructions.

Linux users can follow a detailed guide for setup with bottles here.

Also, we have a Linux/Privacy focused Linux Guild called "Outlands Linux". We use revolt.chat and matrix.

For more information about the game and its features, check out the About UO Outlands page.

Join the thriving UO Outlands community today and immerse yourself in a world of endless possibilities and unforgettable adventures!

Video evil youtube: https://youtu.be/ZHBYQjmUsy0
Video invidious privacy proxy: https://inv.tux.pizza/watch?v=ZHBYQjmUsy0
Video2 on invidious privacy proxy: https://invidious.perennialte.ch/watch?v=akvPkBpywKA <-- getting Started.

Last edited by rek2 on 17 July 2024 at 1:28 pm UTC
slaapliedje Jul 17
It's been a while since I attempted to get this working in Linux, I may need to hop on getting it working!
rek2 Jul 17
Is actually very easy, works like a charm no issues, with wine, lutris or bottles, I find bottles to be the easiest, and you can run the add-ons and multiple tools. I think at this point Lutris is the worst since they have not updated their script in years and is using a very old wine... Try our tutorial, join us on matrix or revolt or the forums and we can help you.
Happy Gaming
changeling Jul 18
this is a good game if you have a nice group to play with. and being able to play without needing to use discord is nice

(and if that particular invidious instance does not work, you can click the "switch instances" link until you find one that does)
NerdRat Jul 18
I have been playing this game on linux using different computers with different characteristics, and with no fixes or minor fixes it works like a charm. I followed the installation proces described in the detailed guide and i didn't have any problems, no intervention needed since i installed it just works.

Now the experience in this game is simply sublime, i haven't played any other game since i started. From the start everything flows like in real life; do you want to do something in game? learn how to do it and with enough "effort" you master the skill to become proficient. Then the next skill until you master a set of skills go get into the dangerous parts: dungeons, wilderness or sailing the sea in search of treasures.

The world is full of activities, need some gold? do some work! Chop wood, do mining, jump into a dungeon and kill an enormous variety of dangerous creatures. This is not like those silly games kids play today where you get anything for free or by emptying mom's credit card, this is hard (but not too much if you just read the wiki or watch a video). Want to make your character look beautiful and you don't have gold? Create a tailor! It won't be too easy but the reward is you have another source of income, who knows? you may become rich by making clothes or armor for other players! Even you can beg or steal if you need something to eat! But everything has consequences, you are warned.

What am i telling? it is a sandbox beauty many talented people are missing in those modern walled gardens. Who needs astonishing graphics if you will eventually jump to other game? There is no paywall for fun here, but more fun would come if you donate voluntarily to the ultima online staff.

I am grateful the outlands team brought this experience and improved it greatly, we'll meet in the dungeons if you come!
slaapliedje Jul 21
I loaded this up last night, and now I remember why I didn't end up playing it. The performance was atrocious. Granted, I have the screen stretched out to 3840 by 1200... so it may be due to that, but it was very choppy, like I'd move and then it'd jerk.
NerdRat Jul 25
Quoting: slaapliedjeI loaded this up last night, and now I remember why I didn't end up playing it. The performance was atrocious. Granted, I have the screen stretched out to 3840 by 1200... so it may be due to that, but it was very choppy, like I'd move and then it'd jerk.

That's unfortunate, but it would be more if you just simply give up.

After i carefully followed, read and re-read the instructions in the hispagatos wiki, i did encountered some problems including the performance issue you mention.

Specifically you need to actually download the exact version of .NET which is 5.0.7 and you can find in the wiki and here

Many members of our community had the same performance problems but after switching the runner in the bottle settings from Soda 7.0.8 to the latest version of the Caffe runner which is Caffe-9.7. Also you need to get the latest dxvk-2.3.1, vkd3d-proton-2.12 and dxvk-nvapi-v0.7.0 under Preferences>DLL Components window.

I encourage you to try again until you make it, you won't regret it. I haven't felt the need to play anyother game since this one covers all the gaps.

Last edited by NerdRat on 25 July 2024 at 9:40 pm UTC
slaapliedje Jul 26
Quoting: NerdRat
Quoting: slaapliedjeI loaded this up last night, and now I remember why I didn't end up playing it. The performance was atrocious. Granted, I have the screen stretched out to 3840 by 1200... so it may be due to that, but it was very choppy, like I'd move and then it'd jerk.

After i carefully followed, read and re-read the instructions in the hispagatos wiki, i did encountered some problems including the performance issue you mention.

Specifically you need to actually download the exact version of .NET which is 5.0.7 and you can find in the wiki and here

Many members of our community had the same performance problems but after switching the runner in the bottle settings from Soda 7.0.8 to the latest version of the Caffe runner which is Caffe-9.7. Also you need to get the latest dxvk-2.3.1, vkd3d-proton-2.12 and dxvk-nvapi-v0.7.0 under Preferences>DLL Components window.

I encourage you to try again until you make it, you won't regret it. I haven't felt the need to play anyother game since this one covers all the gaps.
Cool, I will try out the different wine version. I did not experience the performance issues (at least anywhere near as bad) in Windows 11, though I did die many times in that initial dungeon...
slaapliedje Jul 27
Quoting: NerdRat

They actually updated new releases of dxvk (2.4) and vkd3d-proton (2.13) and dxvk-nvapi (0.7.1) and now it runs very smoothly, quicker than Windows (though I haven't stretched out the window to max yet).
rek2 Jul 29
Good to hear! @slaapliedge let us know if you want a guild invite or just hang out with other Linux users in-game. this is a sandbox MMORPG playing alone is a long long and very frustrating endeavor.
Cheers!
NerdRat Jul 29
Quoting: slaapliedjeThey actually updated new releases of dxvk (2.4) and vkd3d-proton (2.13) and dxvk-nvapi (0.7.1) and now it runs very smoothly, quicker than Windows (though I haven't stretched out the window to max yet).

I am glad you made it. Thanks for metioning the new releases i'll see how the game performs with those updates. If you need a guild let us know so we can play and grow together; this helps to make the game more enjoyable if you are not used to sandbox mmorpgs.

You are welcome to join to our Outlands Linux Guild.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.