Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Global Windows outage
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
LoudTechie Jul 20
Quoting: WorMzySomeone left the lid off the snakeoil and it all evaporated.
I actually argue that, since it can accidentally crash a computer it's more likely to not be snakeoil.
Security is in its very basic about restricting things and people.
E2E encryption restricts anyone without the relevant private key from reading.
signature schemes restrict anyone without the relevant private key from editing.
Cloud strike is about restricting unauthorized computers from reading a select set of files.
What I expect happened is that someone made a mistake and restricted something that should've been kept available.

Snakeoil is really easy to keep from crashing computers.
Just make it do nothing and don't put it in the boot section.
Klaas Jul 20
What will happen to the company? Is there any way to keep trusting a company to provide security if they pushed a broken (and seemingly completely untested) patch to production systems around the world? If they can cause that much damage by accident, how can they protect everyone against some malicious actor that uses their own system for a deliberate attack?

And why does everyone want to use the same security system for all systems?
redman Jul 20
Because this is a Linux site I can see the happiness on some of the comments, but it hit us too in April, all the Debian 12 machines went down, also Rocky Linux 9.4 and Alma Linux was affected.

This is the first news on ddg a Reddit one

I experience it first hand and was a shitty shitty day, if you want to have all the certification in place for the audits and don't want to spend a shit ton of money you need Crowdstrike, it make you check all the boxes and all management is happy.

Now it has change the way that it works a different way so will be harder to break the kernel boot.

But we are facing the same issues on our side of the fence.
Quoting: redmanBecause this is a Linux site I can see the happiness on some of the comments, but it hit us too in April, all the Debian 12 machines went down, also Rocky Linux 9.4 and Alma Linux was affected.

I experience it first hand and was a shitty shitty day, if you want to have all the certification in place for the audits and don't want to spend a shit ton of money you need Crowdstrike, it make you check all the boxes and all management is happy.

Now it has change the way that it works a different way so will be harder to break the kernel boot.

So I guess the actual question is if CrowdStrike is a viable business partner then and some should maybe look for alternate solutions?
LoudTechie Jul 22
Quoting: redmanBecause this is a Linux site I can see the happiness on some of the comments, but it hit us too in April, all the Debian 12 machines went down, also Rocky Linux 9.4 and Alma Linux was affected.

Wait those losers first crashed Linux servers and were like:
this is fiiine and pushed the update to windows too.

Edit: also apparently linux servers are better tested than windows server.
For the linux servers it resulted in an angry call from QA for the windows servers it resulted in world wide outages.
Linux the racing stripe of a server.

Last edited by LoudTechie on 22 July 2024 at 11:37 am UTC
Highball Jul 22
I wonder how this affects monthly usage statistics. Statcounter counts page views. So, if a lot of these servers go down, does that mean people will spend more time then usual surfing the internet for cat gifs increasing the daily traffic or just log off for the day thus lowering the daily traffic?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.