Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Strange monitor / desktop resume problem
robvv Jul 25
My System Info

Linux Distribution: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma 6 / Wayland
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti
GPU Driver Version: 560.28.03

Have you checked for system updates?: [Yes/No] Yes

If this is not Steam, you can still give us a system readout using inxi with "inxi -SbCGxx" in terminal (please put that into Pastebin/Gist as linked above!):
https://gist.github.com/monstoor/ac64f1f2305ea8506484b527553bd3ea

You can note your issue below here
After my old monitor packed up recently, I installed a shiny new Dell Alienware AW2524F monitor, which has a maximum refresh rate of 500Hz.

All went well initially, and I have tried out a couple of the higher refresh rates (360Hz and 480Hz) which seemed to work fine with my GPU and Plasma 6 desktop. However, I have noticed that after I switch off my monitor but leave the PC running I cannot get the desktop to resume.

When I switch the monitor back on I get a 'no signal' message and the screen is blank. If I Ctrl-Alt-F1 I can get a terminal at 60Hz. I can then switch back to the desktop via Ctrl-Alt-F2 where I only see a mouse cursor and black screen but the desktop has seemingly crashed. If I Ctrl-Alt-Backspace I get get back to the log-in screen.

Power-related settings are all disabled.

I am guessing that something is wrong with the signal when I switch the monitor back on, but can anyone help me with this problem? Let me know if you need any more information.

Cheers!
kokoko3k Jul 25
It would be helpful to read logs/journald output from when the problem arises.

Also, switching between Xorg and Wayland may (/not) workaround the issue.
robvv Jul 25
Quoting: kokoko3kIt would be helpful to read logs/journald output from when the problem arises.

Thanks for the reply. Here's what the journalctl log shows from that time period. I found that switching tty also triggers the crash without switching off the monitor. I did this at around 21:01.

There are a lot of roccateventhandler entries, of which I've deleted most. My keyboard and mouse function fine so I'm not sure what this error actually means.

Any help would be much appreciated.
kokoko3k Jul 26
There are a lot of
usb7-4: reset full-speed USB device events, probably unrelated.

Also, the log appears to be redacted, can you post full log just from a session like: "boot, turn off monitor, turn it back on"?

Also, try with Xorg to see if the issue remain.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.