Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Konami posted a Bomberman survey and I'm excited! :D
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Pengling Aug 4
EE! Ahem...

Per the title, Konami posted a community survey on the official Bomberman Twitter/X account, and the meat of it is about retro entries in the series.

Since Bomberman is a franchise that very much deserves a retro collection but somehow hasn't gotten one yet (it's by far the biggest and most influential of the series that Konami took in when they absorbed Hudson Soft in 2012), I can't help but think that this might lead to one, hence why I'm excited enough that I felt a need to post about it here. (Though I'd imagine it'll be a Proton-only affair, going by Konami's other retro offerings.)

The two arcade titles that Irem made under license from Hudson, plus Neo Bomberman, aren't mentioned, which is unfortunate but expected, since those would obviously present some licensing issues that'd be more trouble than they're worth.

Other than that, if a retro collection really is what this survey is for it should turn out solid.
Quoting: PenglingEE! Ahem...
Oh dear it appears Pengling got so exited she wet her chassis.......
Pengling Aug 6
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderOh dear it appears Pengling got so exited she wet her chassis.......
Oh lord, Spider...

Anyway, seriously though, they mentioned games in the survey that have never seen a re-release to date, some of which richly deserve one - this includes the Nintendo 64 titles. I just hope that those won't end up stranded on Nintendo's online service, if those happen to see a re-release - they deserve a wider audience than that.

Last edited by Pengling on 6 August 2024 at 2:25 pm UTC
Klaas Aug 6
Quoting: PenglingNintendo's online service
A release without built-in self-destruct mechanism would be better.
Pengling Aug 6
Quoting: KlaasA release without built-in self-destruct mechanism would be better.
Exactly! And this is the first time ever that there's ever been a hint at re-releasing quite a few of these - it would be most unfortunate if any one of them was locked to a platform where they won't even be around for all that long.

The survey even mentioned Bomberman 64: The Second Attack!, which is one of my favourites in the entire series, and which truly deserves a second chance. It's not a perfect game, but it does some excellent worldbuilding (with some great writing), and has some really fun ideas (like the elemental bombs and their various uses), so it's more than the sum of its parts. It was criminally overlooked upon its release because it was a very late Nintendo 64 title, and I'd hate to see it get criminally overlooked again if it got a re-release that was stuck with one particularly locked-down platform whose holder constantly ditches content.

Last edited by Pengling on 6 August 2024 at 3:56 pm UTC
I filled out this survey. I said that I wanted everything.
Pengling Aug 6
Quoting: Linux_RocksI filled out this survey. I said that I wanted everything.
The world always needs more Bomberman!
Quoting: PenglingThe world always needs more Bomberman!
Careful...... You might end up on a government watch list talking like that.....
Quoting: Pengling
Quoting: Linux_RocksI filled out this survey. I said that I wanted everything.
The world always needs more Bomberman!
Quoting: Linux_Rocks
HAHAHAHAHA!
You sure do have a great collection of gifs.......
Noice! Yet more games for me to kick your butt at.

(We both know, in a bomberman you vs me game, you going to lose!)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.