Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Open source games with final bosses
I decided to try compiling a list of open source games with final bosses.

Why? Because a lot of games from my childhood have very memorable final boss fights, but most open source games tend not to have bosses at all, let alone final bosses. Hence, I thought it would be interesting to call attention to the few open source games that do have final bosses.

Currently I have listed 12 entries:
  • Angband

• Battle for Wesnoth campaigns(*)

• Flare: Empyrean

• Freedoom: Phase 2

• Lugaru

• Nethack

• Slashem

• Seahorse Adventures

• Shattered Pixel Dungeon

• SuperTuxKart

• Umoria

• Xeonjia: Ice Adventures

(*)If you count each Wesnoth campaign as a separate game, then each one has a final boss. If you count all Wesnoth campaigns as a single game, then there isn't really a final boss, though there are a lot of individual bosses.

Are there any others I could add to the list?
Possibly Tanks of Freedom I and II, OpenHV, Tuxemon, and Steam Sky. I haven't played them through yet but they all have some form of campaign so decent chance of a final boss.
Quoting: PublicNuisancePossibly Tanks of Freedom I and II, OpenHV, Tuxemon, and Steam Sky. I haven't played them through yet but they all have some form of campaign so decent chance of a final boss.
What's Steam Sky? I don't see it in any of the usual places to look for open source games?
LoudTechie Aug 18
Quoting: RandomizedKirbyTree47
Quoting: PublicNuisancePossibly Tanks of Freedom I and II, OpenHV, Tuxemon, and Steam Sky. I haven't played them through yet but they all have some form of campaign so decent chance of a final boss.
What's Steam Sky? I don't see it in any of the usual places to look for open source games?

A GPLv3 roguelike in a steampunk setting.
Quoting: LoudTechie
Quoting: RandomizedKirbyTree47

A GPLv3 roguelike in a steampunk setting.

Thanks, I'll check it out!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.