Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Running Linux on a 2017 iMac?
Cyba.Cowboy Aug 13
Anyone ever install a Linux-based operating system on an Apple iMac?

I have an "Apple iMac Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017" that I'm probably going to "clean" install a Linux-based operating system (mostly likely Pop!_OS, Linux Mint or Ubuntu) on in the next week or two, and I'm just wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of? Is there anything noteworthy that won't work, or that I need to be aware of?
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
damarrin Aug 13
It should be all right if it's not a T2 machine (and I think it's not).
Cyba.Cowboy Aug 14
Thanks for that.

I just tried it with a "live" USB (didn't think it'd work with an Apple PC) and everything except bluetooth seems to work... Fortunately, I have the Logitech receivers for my keyboard and mouse, so that's easily worked around.
damarrin Aug 14
Possibly some firmware to be installed there. Apple loves their Broadcom.

Also, if you're going to use a BT mouse/keyboard, be aware they won't work before you get into the system and they connect. So no OS selection in the EFI or GRUB. You could try pairing them from MacOS, that may allow them to connect as the computer starts.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.