Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
What games have installers for linux?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Lib-Inst Aug 19
Does anyone know what games for linux have installers that came out within the last 10 years or so? I know gog games do but does any other games or website have linux games that provide an installer?
dubigrasu Aug 19
Humble Bundle?
rcrit Aug 19
Most of these are outside your 10-year window but a few here and there seem more recent, https://github.com/liflg . The original installers are also mirrored at https://files.holarse-linuxgaming.de/native/Tools/liflg/ (be safe out there).

These are mostly for truly ancient games with native Linux binaries/libraries that layers on top of the Windows CD/DVD-based software.
whizse Aug 19
GOG, and pretty much everyone else, uses MojoSetup (by icculus) based on the old Loki installers. There's list of things using it on the web site.

I'm not sure what Zoom uses? The only game I have on there is shipped as a tarball.
Steam. It can install the games and the launchers (Like Rockstar Launcher needed for games like RDR2).
Lib-Inst Aug 23
Quoting: dubigrasuHumble Bundle?

what games have it there?
dubigrasu Aug 23
Quoting: Lib-Inst

No precise idea, I personally have 140 (actually 196, I counted wrong) Linux games from HB and most of them had an installer of some sort, be it mojo/terminal based, or just custom. Some are just extract and play though.

Last edited by dubigrasu on 1 September 2024 at 6:44 am UTC
Lib-Inst Aug 23
Quoting: dubigrasu

No precise idea, I personally have 140 Linux games from HB and most of them had an installer of some sort, be it mojo/terminal based, or just custom. Some are just extract and play though.
[quote=dubigrasu][quote=Lib-Inst]

are some of those games recent by any chance? within the last 10 years or so.
rcrit Aug 24
Quoting: Lib-Instare some of those games recent by any chance? within the last 10 years or so.

I don't think it's a simple answer.

I discovered HB when they were doing Indie bundles. Heck, I probably learned of it here in fact. My first purchase was in 2010 and include games like Penumbra, Lugaru and World of Goo. So a bit more than 10 years. But if you dig into the downloads several have been updated over the years with World of Goo being dated 2019. I don't know if that is bug fixes, rebuilds or what. These were typically provided as tarballs or zip files.

I didn't check every order I placed back then but since 2014 it looks like the vast majority of the bundles and games I bought issued Steam keys. This could well be bias on my part for the offered games.

I briefly tested the HB filtering system for Linux + no DRM and while lots of games appeared they all look like Steam keys. I couldn't find World of Goo or Lugaru at all. They have the Penumbra Collection but it has a Steam link so I guess it's the native build via Steam. Maybe others are better at navigating the HB store. But it sure looks like if you want standalone games with some sort of native installer (or as a tarball/zip) then GOG is probably a better fit.
dubigrasu Aug 25
[quote=Lib-Inst]
Quoting: dubigrasu

No precise idea, I personally have 140 Linux games from HB and most of them had an installer of some sort, be it mojo/terminal based, or just custom. Some are just extract and play though.
[quote=dubigrasu]

are some of those games recent by any chance? within the last 10 years or so.
Not many I'm afraid, I stopped buying from HB since a while back. I took a brief look at those that I have and actually are not that many with a launcher like I believed initially. Worse, many Linux links are just dead.

Unless Humble has changed then they don't. I haven't used the Humble Store in a few years but when I did I just got to download an executable not an installer. GOG is the only place I have found installers.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.