Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Weekend Players' Club 9/13/2024
StoneColdSpider 5 days ago
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

Bad News Baseball (1990 Tecmo) Nintendo Entertainment System - Sports (Baseball)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) – Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Racing)
PES 2008: Pro Evolution Soccer (2007 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Sid Meier's Civilization (1994 KOEI) - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Strategy
Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PLayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)
WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain (2003 THQ) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Wrestling)

The Road To PES Penguin 2008

Remember the road to the PES Penguin???….. Its back……. In pog form…….

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 is at 50 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

Sid Meier's Civilization (1994 KOEI) - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Strategy

WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain (2003 THQ) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Wrestling)

Bad News Baseball (1990 Tecmo) Nintendo Entertainment System - Sports (Baseball)

NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) – Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Racing)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: What do you call children born in a whore house???…….
A: Brothel Sprouts…...
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling 5 days ago

Following on from playing the original earlier in the year, my pick this weekend is Bomberman Max 2: Blue Advance (Game Boy Advance).

The game sees Bomberman and friendly rival/protege Max (who you play as in the Red Advance version) miniaturised by an enemy shrink-ray, and having to find their way back to Bomber Base in order to be restored to their normal size, whilst also foiling an evil scheme along the way.

It doesn't change a whole lot from its predecessor, which is a good thing - you still have a ton of stages to get your teeth into, with variety brought into the proceedings by way of each stage having a specific mission (for example, destroy all enemies except for a certain type, or find a teleporter) in order to complete it and move on. Due to the theme of the protagonists being shrunk down, there are also sometimes giant-sized hazards like a giant boot trying to squash you, or someone trying to swat you away, which will cause you to lose power-ups and have to find where they bounced off to - I thought that this was a nice touch. The Pokemon-like Charabom creatures also return, granting you various abilities.

My only gripe is that the CGI sprites and scenery here don't have as much personality as the hand-drawn art of the Game Boy Colour original. It has that unfortunate "cheap" look that quite a lot of Game Boy Advance titles had, for reasons that I've always wondered about.

Bomberman Max 2 is one of the few Bomberman games that I haven't played, and I'm enjoying it so far - as I'd hoped, since I loved the first one!

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Cookie Clicker (Proton)

PathBlasters (Proton)

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe Road To PES Penguin 2008

Remember the road to the PES Penguin???….. Its back……. In pog form…….

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 is at 50 PES points out of 5000……….
Yay!

Do you only get 50 points per match, here? Because if so, wow, it's going to be a looooooooong road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 2008!

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Well, this guy's face certainly matches the game's subtitle!

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
I've somehow never heard of this one until now; I really like the art-style.

Last edited by Pengling on 14 September 2024 at 1:32 am UTC
missingno 5 days ago
Under Night In-Birth II [Sys:Celes] - Haven't had a whole lot of time to practice, but I'm working on charge partitioning. Managed to get double ball a few times in a match.

Them's Fightin' Herds - Hopped on commentary for Glue Cup 2v2 this week. Need to make more time to actually start *playing* again.

Mahjong Soul/Riichi City/IRL mahjong - After getting demoted to Expert I went on an even worse losing streak for a bit, but I seem to be clawing my way back now. It's just sample size, or so I keep telling myself.

Splatoon 3 - Oh boy, I gotta play Turf War all weekend. Yaaaaay.

Last edited by missingno on 14 September 2024 at 4:41 am UTC
StoneColdSpider 3 days ago
Quoting: Pengling
Following on from playing the original earlier in the year, my pick this weekend is Bomberman Max 2: Blue Advance (Game Boy Advance).
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!........

Quoting: PenglingMy only gripe is that the CGI sprites and scenery here don't have as much personality as the hand-drawn art of the Game Boy Colour original. It has that unfortunate "cheap" look that quite a lot of Game Boy Advance titles had, for reasons that I've always wondered about.
Its a shame cause the GBA does have a nice graphics ship for a handheld of that era and many games took full advantage of it and look great........

Quoting: PenglingBomberman Max 2 is one of the few Bomberman games that I haven't played, and I'm enjoying it so far - as I'd hoped, since I loved the first one!
I know there is another Bomberman game you havnt played...... A certain Bomberman game on the Xbox 360........

Cookie Clicker (Proton)
Sadly I get more cookies going to websites than what I eat these days.....

PathBlasters (Proton)
GOD DAMMIT PENG.......
Wait thats not a Bomberman game....... Well I dont think anyway...... But it looks so much like a Bomberman game......... Well I better play it safe.......
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!! x2........

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!! x3......
Are you riding Barney the Dinosaur????.......

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!! x4........
Also I love that "Battle" image...... Looks like a a really bad direct to video movie cover.......

Quoting: PenglingYay!

Do you only get 50 points per match, here? Because if so, wow, it's going to be a looooooooong road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 2008!
Yes you only get 50 PES Points per match....... And yes it will take close to two years at the rate of 1 game per week.......

Quoting: PenglingWell, this guy's face certainly matches the game's subtitle!
Fun fact....... That face is now the mayor of Knox County........

Quoting: PenglingI've somehow never heard of this one until now; I really like the art-style.
Yeah its good fun and has the usual Tecmo charm that they were well known for........
Game plays really well too...... Holds up very well today........
Klaas 3 days ago
QuotePathBlasters
Experience a mix of puzzles and thrilling chases in a colorful world inspired by 90s arcade games.
Like Bomberman.
Pengling a day ago
Quoting: missingnoSplatoon 3 - Oh boy, I gotta play Turf War all weekend. Yaaaaay.
Were you on the Splatfest's winning team?

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!........

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIts a shame cause the GBA does have a nice graphics ship for a handheld of that era and many games took full advantage of it and look great........
Yeah, but just as many didn't, unfortunately.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI know there is another Bomberman game you havnt played...... A certain Bomberman game on the Xbox 360........
And the day it works under emulation, I'll be giving it a fair chance, just like all the others. But that day is not today.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderSadly I get more cookies going to websites than what I eat these days.....

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENG.......
Wait thats not a Bomberman game....... Well I dont think anyway...... But it looks so much like a Bomberman game......... Well I better play it safe.......
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!! x2........
Though partly inspired by it, it's entirely unrelated and doesn't play like very much like it, so your "GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!" is invalid in this instance.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!! x3......
Are you riding Barney the Dinosaur????.......
No - that's a Tirra.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!! x4........
Also I love that "Battle" image...... Looks like a a really bad direct to video movie cover.......
I love it, too - it's just the right mix of the series' usual tone with some cheesiness. That button actually cycles through several different images, all with the same sort of vibe, while it's highlighted, too.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderYes you only get 50 PES Points per match....... And yes it will take close to two years at the rate of 1 game per week.......
Oh yikes! We're not going to be seeing that guy for a while, then!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderFun fact....... That face is now the mayor of Knox County........
Interesting!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderYeah its good fun and has the usual Tecmo charm that they were well known for........
Game plays really well too...... Holds up very well today........
So, it's sort of equivalent to Tecmo Super Bowl, but for baseball, then?

Quoting: KlaasLike Bomberman.

PathBlasters is basically like Bomberman + Some light Sokoban elements + Forced vertical scrolling like in old shooters. It gets quite tough later on!

It's also the only 2024 release I've bought, so it has that going for it, too, especially since there's been nothing else released this year that I want.

Last edited by Pengling on 16 September 2024 at 8:32 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.