Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
It is true that Valve spends a small amount of its revenue to improve Steam?
RubyRose136 a day ago
  • New User
That's what Wolfire Games alleged in its antitrust lawsuit against Valve.
WorMzy about 24 hours ago
Valve spends exactly $2.99 on improving Steam. They can't go higher than that because it'd be a sign that HL3 was confirmed.
PublicNuisance about 20 hours ago
Given that after all these years I still think it's a mediocre client at best I would say that I hope that they're not spending money on it because if they are they sure aren't getting results.
pleasereadthemanual about 9 hours ago
Quoting: PublicNuisanceGiven that after all these years I still think it's a mediocre client at best I would say that I hope that they're not spending money on it because if they are they sure aren't getting results.
It's a mediocre client, but the bar is incredibly low. Of all the game clients, I hate Steam the least.

Edit: Unless we're including the likes of Lutris and Heroic. Those clients are good.

Last edited by pleasereadthemanual on 21 September 2024 at 2:23 pm UTC
Linas about 8 hours ago
Guys, really? Steam is far from mediocre. The new Big Picture mode is excellent and is a huge improvement over the old one. The classic interface is also gradually being updated to be more consistent with Big Picture. Not to mention Proton integration, standardized Linux runtime, cloud saves, community features, and the entire Steam OS on Steam Deck.

All of that is a lot of work, and they did that all while still being true to PC gaming, not locking down Steam Deck, not shoving draconian DRM down our throats.
CatKiller about 5 hours ago
Quoting: RubyRose136That's what Wolfire Games alleged in its antitrust lawsuit against Valve.
Of course they did, in their "Valve is a big bad meanie that needs to be punished and give us money" wild claims. Nothing they say there should be assumed true, or even relevant.

Bad redaction let us know that about a quarter of Valve's employees are tasked with "Steam," but they don't have many employees in total.
Linux_Rocks about 5 hours ago
Quoting: LinasGuys, really? Steam is far from mediocre. The new Big Picture mode is excellent and is a huge improvement over the old one. The classic interface is also gradually being updated to be more consistent with Big Picture. Not to mention Proton integration, standardized Linux runtime, cloud saves, community features, and the entire Steam OS on Steam Deck.

All of that is a lot of work, and they did that all while still being true to PC gaming, not locking down Steam Deck, not shoving draconian DRM down our throats.
Yeah, except for the parts where basic shit is still broken ever since the new client released. Like not being able to disable Steam Play in Linux, or if you enable it for all titles and then turn that off, your library acts like all titles is still enabled. Both of these issues have forever been well documented on GitHub, and Valve still sits there with their thumbs up their asses and haven't fixed it. Steam Play is a key feature of the Linux Steam client too.

Users shouldn't be forced to use Steam Play and the settings should work as they're supposed to. I dual-boot and have little use for Proton outside of certain things. I just wanna be able to organize my Steam library by native Linux games, and still can't do something simple as that cause shit is still broken. It's caused me to view Valve far more critically now.

Seriously, it might as well say "Welcome to Valve Software" on the sign, I swear:

Last edited by Linux_Rocks on 21 September 2024 at 6:34 pm UTC
Linas about 3 hours ago
Quoting: Linux_RocksLike not being able to disable Steam Play in Linux, or if you enable it for all titles and then turn that off, your library acts like all titles is still enabled.
This is an inconvenience, far from a critical bug, and hardly warrants the insult.
Linux_Rocks about 3 hours ago
Quoting: Linas
Quoting: Linux_RocksLike not being able to disable Steam Play in Linux, or if you enable it for all titles and then turn that off, your library acts like all titles is still enabled.
This is an inconvenience, far from a critical bug, and hardly warrants the insult.
Oh please, pardon me while I don't weep for them. I already don't have any sympathy for some engineers and white collars as it is, and absolutely none for evil corporations either. I've also spent thousands on the Steam store. So I'll insult them all I want.

Last edited by Linux_Rocks on 21 September 2024 at 8:48 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.