You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
No audio in Into the Necrovale
Julius 3 days ago
This is a bit strange, but on my Fedora 40 KDE system I get absolutely no audio in Into the Necrovale (Steam version).

I already tried to see if there are any errors in the console when starting it, but nothing to see there.

Looking at the game folder it seems to come with its own OpenAL libraries, so I am guessing these are somehow not working on my system?

Anyone has an idea how to overwrite those or anything else I could do to fix this?

Thanks!
whizse 2 days ago
Quoting: JuliusAnyone has an idea how to overwrite those or anything else I could do to fix this?
Yep. You can try renaming the OpenAL lib and see if it picks up the system libraries instead.

Other workarounds include running the game with the Steam Linux Runtime or using the Proton version.
Julius a day ago
Neither renaming (fails to start then), not the different Steam runtimes made a difference sadly.

Running it in Proton works with audio, but I would really rather like to run the native version
whizse about 7 hours ago
Hmm.. I tried the demo and while I can't reproduce the bug (sound is working fine) I can run the game against my system libraries (by removing libopenal.so.1 libSDL2-2.0.so.0 from the game dir).

Maybe you don't have OpenAL installed?

Either way, I guess a bug report to game dev might be in order.
Julius about 2 hours ago
Hmm, ok this is curious. Even though I didn't select the Proton version when I first installed it, I only had .hdll files and not the .so.1/o files you mention, which I agree should normally be in the native version.

And now that I explicitly installed the Windows version for Proton, I still only have .hdll files, but the audio works.

Maybe the demo is different from the release version, but it is a bit odd.
whizse about 2 hours ago
That is odd. According to SteamDB both depots (demo and full game) should have .hdll and a corresponding .so library (or .dll for the Windows version). The openal.hdll is tiny in comparison to the real OpenAL so I guess it's some sort of of wrapper?

Anyhow, probably not worth worrying about as long as you have the game working!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.