Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Why sometimes piracy is justified?
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
missingno about 9 hours ago
Never mind the law at all. Is it ethical to not pay for something the creator wants to get paid for?
damarrin about 8 hours ago
Quoting: eldakingNo, I'm absolutely not saying that, do not fabricate stuff and attribute to me in bad faith.

I'm not fabricating anything. You wrote "Though I guess sometimes copyright is justifiable.", which means you believe it's not justifiable in most cases.

I do not agree and I said as much.
BlackBloodRum about 5 hours ago
Quoting: missingnoNever mind the law at all. Is it ethical to not pay for something the creator wants to get paid for?
No, that is not ethical according to them. If you don't hand over your money you are toxic.

I mean:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/denuvo-respond-to-their-rep-for-tanking-games-im-a-gamer-myself-and-therefore-i-know-what-im-talking-about

They aren't selling enough games, why? Because of piracy of course! Yes, this remains true even though there is no pirated version of their game available, and there is no one downloading it illegally - but still, pirates are to blame for the lack of sales, of course.

No matter what pirates do or don't do, we will always be the one blamed.

Honestly, we pirates are so used to taking the blame at this point it's just another day, and frankly it pushes me further away from giving them money.
missingno about 4 hours ago
Quoting: BlackBloodRumNo, that is not ethical according to them. If you don't hand over your money you are toxic.
I don't know who you mean by "them", but I'm asking you.
BlackBloodRum about 3 hours ago
Quoting: missingno
Quoting: BlackBloodRumNo, that is not ethical according to them. If you don't hand over your money you are toxic.
I don't know who you mean by "them", but I'm asking you.
The game developers in general, especially Denuvo and the likes (which intentionally limit your consumer rights).

For example, from the article I posted:
QuoteAndreas Ullmann: Hard to answer. So maybe it's just… maybe it's even a personal thing. I'm with the company for such a long time. The guys here are like my family, because a lot of the others here are also here for ages. It just hurts to see what's posted out there about us, even though it has been claimed wrong for hundreds of times.

On the other hand, I can imagine that this reputation also has some kind of business impact. I can imagine that certain developers, probably more in the indie region or the smaller region, are not contacting us in the first place if they are looking for solutions.

Because currently, there is only two ways to protect a game against piracy, right? Either you don't, or use our protection. There is no competitor. And I can imagine that there are developers out there who are hesitant to contact us, only because of the reputation. They would probably love to prevent piracy for their game, but they fear the hate and the toxicity of the community if they do so. And maybe they even believe all the claims that are out there - unanswered from us until today - and for this reason don't contact us in the first place.

So, who is to blame for the lack of usage of this software? The pirates, of course:

QuoteRPS: You’ve pushed back against some of the complaints about Denuvo tanking performance. Can you show us raw data and benchmarks to demonstrate that Denuvo games don’t affect performance? And is there scope for getting an agreed third-party (for example, a tech site like Digital Foundry) to audit the effects of Denuvo?

Andreas Ullmann: Perfect timing for this question, actually. This morning, I was going through the aftermath of our Discord opening yesterday, because I did not find the time to answer all the questions that came up there. And one question there was, of course, it's always about this performance topic. And there was a very healthy discussion started there between two users and myself about what such a test could look like. I posted a long answer in there today, so I would probably mostly repeat this answer here now as well.

So basically, I think the one question was: why don't the developers do these comparisons and post them publicly? That's something we cannot force them to do. There seems to be reasons why they are not doing it. And also, on the other hand, probably considering the toxicity of - especially the pirate community - they would probably not accept that anyway, because it could be rigged.

Put bluntly, whenever a company does not get the money it expects, or the reaction it expects, it blames the pirate community even when said community is not even pirating their products.

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 25 October 2024 at 2:52 am UTC
missingno about 2 hours ago
You didn't answer me. Do you think it is ethical to not pay for something the creator wants to get paid for?
BlackBloodRum about 2 hours ago
Quoting: missingnoYou didn't answer me. Do you think it is ethical to not pay for something the creator wants to get paid for?
Yes, I think it is ethical for me to choose not to purchase something that someone wants to get paid for. I often choose to not to buy and use products that deploy practices which go against my consumer rights.

With that said; I have purchased over 900 Steam games and 200+ GOG games. But I will not purchase or use the ones which deploy anti-consumer tactics such as kernel level cheats or denuvo.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Buy Games
Buy games with our affiliate / partner links: