Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Why sometimes piracy is justified?
Page: «4/4
  Go to:
dvd about 6 hours ago
Well since people still keep this thread alive, I think the first huge obstacle in this "debate" is the language. From the start, you use the language of the copyright holders/stakeholders. The word piracy is a red herring in itself. I don't think that people here disagree with that.

The onus is on the creators to create a product that will buy them future loyalty from their customers. The big money mills basically ensure that any AAA gets the max hype/advertising possible, but the way they make games now, a lot of times what they deliver is underwhelming. The only thing that is driving innovation in these games are the graphics, those are improved every iteration as it helps sell hardware, and it is more trivial to do than taking a risk and changing the game design. For me a perfect example of this is far right, if you've played 2 (1) of those games you've played them all.

Meanwhile the price of games go up, no one in the 'big' games market scales back, more bugs etc. creep in. Not to even mention the live service/gambling stuff they experimented with.

So I think the better question would be what these companies could do better to make you pay that money? I think Valve is a good example, even though I don't like their client im not too bothered to buy games there, since after they decided to support my platform of choice they've continued to do that (and better and better) in their games.

It would be much better if things were freer in the game scene too, but that sadly won't happen.
missingno about 2 hours ago
Quoting: dvdWell since people still keep this thread alive, I think the first huge obstacle in this "debate" is the language. From the start, you use the language of the copyright holders/stakeholders. The word piracy is a red herring in itself. I don't think that people here disagree with that.
On this I do agree with you, which is why I wanted to rephrase the question in a way that avoids loaded language entirely.

There are good conversations to be had about abandonware, expiration dates on copyright, whether the money is going to the right people, etc.

But I don't like reducing that conversation to just "I just don't wanna pay for anything and I don't need any further reason than that." I think that's wack, and if everyone else were to think that way, how do creators make a living?

Honestly, I'd have more respect for y'all if you'd just said "I know it's not cool, but I live in this capitalist hellscape too and my budget is limited sometimes." Do what you gotta do, but I don't like pretending it's ethical.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.