Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
PC Connects to Wi-Fi, But Only Has Internet Over Ethernet
Cyba.Cowboy about 19 hours ago
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS
Desktop Environment: GNOME 42.9
Graphics Card: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)
GPU Driver Version: i915

Have you checked for system updates?: Yes

If this is not Steam, you can still give us a system readout using inxi with "inxi -SbCGxx" in terminal (please put that into Pastebin/Gist as linked above!):
https://pastebin.com/mWak7k60

You can note your issue below here

My second computer, a Sony VAIO Tap 20 SVJ20215CB "sees" and connects to our Wi-Fi network, but it doesn't actually have Internet connectivity. No other device in our household, including other Linux-based laptops, have this issue. This particular computer also has perfect connectivity (i.e. no issues) when connected ti my modem / router by ethernet.

I thought it was something related to the modem / router I was previously using, but I just changed to Starlink and it is the same issue with the new modem / router. Again, no other device in the household, including other Linux-based laptops, have issues, suggesting the problem is unique to this computer.

Obviously I can leave it connected by ethernet, and that is my "Plan B", but it would not be ideal.

Any ideas?
LoudTechie about 4 hours ago
Quoting: Cyba.CowboyMy System Info

Linux Distribution: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS
Desktop Environment: GNOME 42.9
Graphics Card: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)
GPU Driver Version: i915

Have you checked for system updates?: Yes

If this is not Steam, you can still give us a system readout using inxi with "inxi -SbCGxx" in terminal (please put that into Pastebin/Gist as linked above!):
https://pastebin.com/mWak7k60

You can note your issue below here

My second computer, a Sony VAIO Tap 20 SVJ20215CB "sees" and connects to our Wi-Fi network, but it doesn't actually have Internet connectivity. No other device in our household, including other Linux-based laptops, have this issue. This particular computer also has perfect connectivity (i.e. no issues) when connected ti my modem / router by ethernet.

I thought it was something related to the modem / router I was previously using, but I just changed to Starlink and it is the same issue with the new modem / router. Again, no other device in the household, including other Linux-based laptops, have issues, suggesting the problem is unique to this computer.

Obviously I can leave it connected by ethernet, and that is my "Plan B", but it would not be ideal.

Any ideas?

Try updating your wifi card driver separately.

Edit:
how to do that:
lspci -vq
look for the one with wireless in the name
post the name and kernel-module here
sudo apt install -only-module [kernel-module]

Last edited by LoudTechie on 12 October 2024 at 4:04 pm UTC
whizse about 3 hours ago
Output of ip addr and ip route might be helpful.
Caldathras about 2 hours ago
Quoting: Cyba.CowboyMy second computer, a Sony VAIO Tap 20 SVJ20215CB "sees" and connects to our Wi-Fi network, but it doesn't actually have Internet connectivity. No other device in our household, including other Linux-based laptops, have this issue. This particular computer also has perfect connectivity (i.e. no issues) when connected ti my modem / router by ethernet.
Could be poor driver support for your Wi-Fi chipset.

I have this problem with my Lenovo ThinkPad T440p laptop as well. Like you, the Internet is rock-solid on Ethernet but completely unreliable/unstable on Wi-Fi. I traced the problem to poor driver support for the Intel Wireless-N 7260 chipset.

This problem was present regardless of the distro. I'm currently on Pop!_OS like you. Prior to that, I was on Manjaro. Interestingly enough, Manjaro seemed to have stabilized the driver over time but, initially, the Wi-Fi was just as unstable as on Pop!_OS. Ironically, the Wi-Fi driver is rock-solid in Windows 10.

Unfortunately, I never did resolve the issue in Pop!_OS. The problem with the Intel Wireless-N 7260 Linux driver is a notorious one all over the web. I gave up and I just use the Ethernet connection instead.

Edit: Verified chipset model.

Last edited by Caldathras on 12 October 2024 at 5:33 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.