Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
PC Connects to Wi-Fi, But Only Has Internet Over Ethernet
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
whizse a day ago
That's very weird.

I would try a live USB with a different distro. If it's broken there too, it's probably a hardware issue.
Valck about 13 hours ago
Quoting: Cyba.Cowboy
Quoting: ValckTry "ping"-ing the IP address of your router first, ie.

All I got was:
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.24 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 0 received, +1 errors, 100% packet loss, time 0ms

That means it's not even receiving a response from the modem / router, right?

How does that work, when my modem / router can "see" the computer connected in the Starlink app (Starlink manage their modem / router exclusively via an app, rather than via a Web-based interface)?
All that tells you is it can't find a route via IPv4 (ie. addresses that look like "123.45.67.89", aka. "dotted quad"). If it can "see" the router, that means you have a _physical_ (albeit intangible) connection, and the only possible explanation is that you do have a route via IPv6 //only//, which is clearly a misconfiguration issue. (edit: it might be intentional in some scenarios)

The logical next step would be to try "ping -6" or "traceroute -6" for IPv6 (that's these type of addresses "1234:5678:90ab:cdef::::ff", larger address space, more intimidating looking, ie. more modern);

$ man traceroute
tells us "-6" for IPv6, and "-i wlp1s0" to use the wireless interface

so give it a try with
$ traceroute -6 -i wlp1s0 the:IPv6:address:::of:your:router

or the router's DNS address, if it is supposed to have one ("fritz.box" comes to mind)
or failing that,even the DNS address of some public host like google the diagnostic DNS address
$ traceroute -6 -i wlp1s0 example.com

and it *should* give you at least *some* result, at least up to your router.

After that, it's back to configuring your routing/DNS, and that depends on what type of distro you use, and is best looked up in the documentation that comes with it.

Last edited by Valck on 14 October 2024 at 7:01 am UTC
Caldathras about 2 hours ago
Quoting: Cyba.CowboyThis computer has the Centrino Wireless-N 135 (rev c4) chipset... I always thought Intel generally had pretty good hardware support under Linux-based operating systems, but your theory is certainly plausible.

I might have to see if anybody else is complaining about this particular chipset online...
Your chipset is a year older than mine. It is supported by the same kernel-level driver as mine. I think it very likely that you could be experiencing the same problem.

(FYI, which is why I don't think that trying a different distro will give you a conclusive answer. If you dual booted with Windows like I do, that would give you a better answer. My chipset works flawlessly in Windows.)

Perhaps Intel's support on newer Wi-Fi chipsets is good, but from what I've seen, the support for older hardware is not that strong. Rather than asking that Intel improve the driver, most of the online comments take a more resigned tone and suggest replacing the problematic Wi-Fi chipsets instead.

That being said, if the more technically savvy commenters can come up with a solution that benefits both of us, I'm all for it!

Last edited by Caldathras on 14 October 2024 at 5:19 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.