Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
remote desktop software?
Jarmer about 6 hours ago
Hi everyone, just wondering what do you all use for unattended remote desktop access software? After all these years on linux, this is really the ONLY thing I continue to struggle with. It's such a pain point, and I have yet to figure out something that consistently works. Here's my setup:

HTPC in living room: popos (gnome variant) running plex. I need to remote into (unattended) the desktop to open filezilla and download stuff.
Client pc in office: opensuse tumbleweed (kde plasma).

I have tried SO MANY different things, and they never work consistently over time (like for months on end). I've tried:

1- regular ol built in vnc (with open port) - over time this will stop working for what reason I do not know - just says "client refused connection" and a reboot will fix it

2- nomachine - randomly crashes over time, requires reboot to reinitialize server side software. Also struggles with UI scaling, sometimes making it almost impossible to use (things will be scaled to 4k resolution and scaling won't change)

3- teamviewer - constantly complained about using wayland, sometimes worked, sometimes not

4- rustdesk - honestly I can't remember why this didn't work, but I did try it and got nowhere

5- anydesk - tried this last year at the same time as rustdesk, also couldn't get working but I don't remember why.

I think that's it. So what do you all use?? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
whizse about 5 hours ago
The built in remote desktop in GNOME should be using RDP by default. Have you tried that?
Jarmer about 5 hours ago
I tried just now. Using Remmina as the client to connect to the server via RDP, the connection is accepted after supplying credentials, but instantly closes. I can see some form of open window for like half a second, then it's gone. No clue. Also tried via VNC but it says "client refused connection".
mr-victory about 5 hours ago
Thinlinc.
If the server does not have static IP, Thinlinc agent must be configured to redirect to the new IP each time IP changes, also there is no Wayland support. And Thinlinc is proprietary software. Other than these Thinlinc has been great for me, my connection was stable and fast where xrdp and xvnc struggled. It made a night and day difference.

Last edited by mr-victory on 27 October 2024 at 4:16 pm UTC
whizse about 5 hours ago
Quoting: JarmerI tried just now. Using Remmina as the client to connect to the server via RDP, the connection is accepted after supplying credentials, but instantly closes. I can see some form of open window for like half a second, then it's gone. No clue. Also tried via VNC but it says "client refused connection".
Odd. It might work better with GNOME Connections?
Jarmer about 5 hours ago
Quoting: mr-victoryThinlinc.
If the server does not have static IP, Thinlinc agent must be configured to redirect to the new IP each time IP changes, also there is no Wayland support. And Thinlinc is proprietary software. Other than these Thinlinc has been great for me, my connection was stable and fast where xrdp and xvnc struggled. It made a night and day difference.

I'm using Wayland, so I suppose that is out. But thank you for the suggestion.
mr-victory about 4 hours ago
Thinlinc creates a headless session for streaming. I could use Plasma Wayland on my PC and stream X.Org LXQT to iPad simultaneously.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.