Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Don't get your hopes up for Batman
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
sub Jun 24, 2015
Quoting: Mountain Man
Quoting: ricki42Feral's port is based on the windows port...
Can you confirm this? I'm pretty sure it's going to be a native Linux port and not just a wrapper. That's how they've done their other Linux ports.

So what? This does not necessarily mean it is using a wrapper.

However, "wrapper" is a difficult term and means different things depending on the actual approach.
Mountain Man Jun 24, 2015
Quoting: sub
Can you confirm this? I'm pretty sure it's going to be a native Linux port and not just a wrapper. That's how they've done their other Linux ports.
So what? This does not necessarily mean it is using a wrapper.
Um... yeah, that was my point. Their other Linux ports have been native builds, so I doubt they're using a wrapper for Arkham Knight, not unless they want to basically double the system requirements.
ricki42 Jun 24, 2015

Sorry, I worded that badly, I didn't mean that it's a wrapper, just that they start from the Windows version, not from the console version. I asked them on Twitter about this https://twitter.com/feralgames/status/613621694087983104
mao_dze_dun Jun 25, 2015
And a quick update: http://www.pcgamer.com/warner-bros-is-suspending-sales-of-batman-arkham-knight-for-pc/

Apparently Warner decided to freeze all PC sales for the moment until the problem is resolved.
Now about the code - the game uses the Unreal Engine 3. Not sure how that translates into the porting process. The Linux games that are using that engine are Borderlands and Bioshock. One's native, the other is using a wrapper.
Mountain Man Jun 25, 2015
Quoting: mao_dze_dunNow about the code - the game uses the Unreal Engine 3. Not sure how that translates into the porting process. The Linux games that are using that engine are Borderlands and Bioshock. One's native, the other is using a wrapper.
XCOM also runs on Unreal Engine 3, and Feral's port is excellent.
Quoting: ricki42
Sorry, I worded that badly, I didn't mean that it's a wrapper, just that they start from the Windows version, not from the console version. I asked them on Twitter about this
https://twitter.com/feralgames/status/613621694087983104
Ah, O.K., thanks for that.

So I wonder how long it'll take Rocksteady/Iron Galaxy to fix the PC port, and then how much longer after that it'll be before Feral is happy with the Linux version? I wonder if there's any chance of it happening before Christmas.
sub Jun 25, 2015
Quoting: mao_dze_dunNow about the code - the game uses the Unreal Engine 3. Not sure how that translates into the porting process. The Linux games that are using that engine are Borderlands and Bioshock. One's native, the other is using a wrapper.

I think XCOM:EU is not the best game to judge if a port is excellent since it lacks the requirement on smooth frame rates.
I agree, the XCOM port is flawless when it comes to graphical and gameplay bugs, at least I didn't spot any .
But when it comes to performance, the gameplay is simply not demanding. Low frame rates wouldn't be a big issue for this game and you would even hardly notice it.
This is fundamentally different for games like Batman.
melkemind Jun 25, 2015

I hate to beat a dead horse, but my post on the issues with porting Unreal 3 games is relevant here. The Xcom port was relatively bug free, as sub mentioned, but in terms of performance, the frame rate was significantly lower than the Windows version. With a game like Batman, that could result in an almost unplayable experience, even if they fix the Windows port, unless Feral finds a way to port Unreal 3 more efficiently.

Moreover, there are several "versions" of Unreal 3 floating around, and I don't mean sequential versions but rather customized ones. Many hands were involved in the Linux porting, resulting in a hodgepodge of code. I'm getting this info directly from this website. The Arkham version of UE3 could be quite different from the Xcom version.

I do believe Feral will try their best. I'm just wondering if that will be good enough without an official engine port for Linux.
mao_dze_dun Jun 25, 2015
Quoting: melkemind

I hate to beat a dead horse, but my post on the issues with porting Unreal 3 games is relevant here. The Xcom port was relatively bug free, as sub mentioned, but in terms of performance, the frame rate was significantly lower than the Windows version. With a game like Batman, that could result in an almost unplayable experience, even if they fix the Windows port, unless Feral finds a way to port Unreal 3 more efficiently.

Moreover, there are several "versions" of Unreal 3 floating around, and I don't mean sequential versions but rather customized ones. Many hands were involved in the Linux porting, resulting in a hodgepodge of code. I'm getting this info directly from this website. The Arkham version of UE3 could be quite different from the Xcom version.

I do believe Feral will try their best. I'm just wondering if that will be good enough without an official engine port for Linux.

It should also be noted that Unreal Engine 3 is not the most resource optimized engine in general. The only reason most people don't have problems with running UE3 games in Windows is that the hardware has finally outpaced the engine's limitations.
Quoting: melkemindI do believe Feral will try their best. I'm just wondering if that will be good enough without an official engine port for Linux.
I thought Unreal Engine 3 natively supports Linux. Is this not correct?

Dungeon Defenders is another UE3 powered game, and it runs great in Linux, even when playing split-screen multiplayer.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.