Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
New to linux - just want a little advice about drivers. AMD
akirru Jul 9, 2015
I'm new to linux (mint). I'm really enjoying it so far and I moved from windows 8.1. I don't like the direction Microsoft were going with windows and I wanted to try something else.
I consider myself a very technically able person and I can learn new things pretty quickly. I have mint set up and everything is going great. I expected to see a drop in performance when gaming on linux.. especially on AMD.
The question I have is about AMD drivers. From what I gather the opensource xorg is better for 2d and the proprietary amd drivers are better for gaming.
I hear about other things such as combining the opensource and amd driver or MESA?!
Can anyone explain this to me :) I currently use the AMD proprietary 15.7 driver.
Thanks
Samsai Jul 9, 2015
There is such a thing called amdgpu. It's essentially an open source base that will eventually be able to run the AMD proprietary components on top of it. Alternatively you can also run the fully open source Mesa stack on that driver. Currently the driver is still very much WIP and only support the open source radeonsi component.

The way I have interpreted it is that the proprietary components aren't really working with the Mesa drivers but they co-exist on the same kernel driver and Catalyst is isolated into user-space. I think that could improve stability on Catalyst because if it goes down it shouldn't take the whole kernel with it.

From user's point of view I assume not much is going to change. It will probably make maintaining the driver a bit easier for the AMD devs so they could maybe put more resources towards optimizing the Catalyst component.
Liam Dawe Jul 9, 2015
It depends what AMD chip you're talking about really, as there are differing levels of support for the open source driver. A lot of people can use just the open source driver for older chips for example.
akirru Jul 9, 2015
Thanks for your replies. My card is an R9 280x and I mostly play source based games when I do play. Such as TF2 or CSGO ... I've found the performance to be around a 3rd of what I get in windows. 300fps vs 100fps ... I understand they are basically ports and 100fps would be sufficient but for some reason I find the game stutters a lot too.

So I want to know what is the best driver for my requirements and card.

Thanks
Samsai Jul 9, 2015
Catalyst is generally what you want when you need good performance and radeonsi is for when you want to either support open source or want more stability. Mesa is slowly catching up to the proprietary driver but for now it can be dramatically slower. You could see if the stuttering happens on the radeon driver though.
Liam Dawe Jul 9, 2015
For that card, I imagine it will be best to stick with the official Catalyst driver, a new version just came out funnily enough.
akirru Jul 10, 2015
Thanks again for your replies. It seems for now that I will stick with the amd proprietary drivers.

Hopefully they will catch windows someday. Although I must admit I am tempted to go nvidia... But then I can't really support open source.

How do I add mesa to the catalyst driver?

Thanks
Liam Dawe Jul 14, 2015
Quoting: akirru Thanks again for your replies. It seems for now that I will stick with the amd proprietary drivers.

Hopefully they will catch windows someday. Although I must admit I am tempted to go nvidia... But then I can't really support open source.

How do I add mesa to the catalyst driver?

Thanks

You don't add mesa to it, mesa is the open source driver.
chainsawbike Jul 16, 2015
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

your card is supported by the open source driver, historically the difference between the closed source and open source was significant, but the performance difference has steadily been shrinking

i think it is worth a try with the open source driver - if it does not work you can always revert back to the closed source driver.
akirru Jul 16, 2015
I have started using the Oibaf repository for ubuntu (on my mint install) to get the latest mesa update easily. The performance is really good considering its open source. In fact 2d performance is definitely much better with the radeon driver.

I cant wait until the drivers mature more as I really want to use amd on linux as my main gaming platform. Its just not completely viable yet due the massive loss in performance over windows. Amazing work all the same and great progress.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.