You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Gorky 17 for Linux was ported illegally?
gbudny Oct 5, 2015
Hi

One of the developers want to release the Wine version of Gorky 17 for Linux/Mac and he presented controversial remarks about Gorky 17 for Linux which was ported by Hyperion and Published by LGP:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/253920/discussions/0/520518053453566327#p3
Liam Dawe Oct 5, 2015
Honestly, I think that TopWare guy has their wires crossed. They may have the rights now, but they didn't in the past from what I understand.
gbudny Oct 9, 2015
"It doesn't look like he's claiming that now, later on in the thread. He's also got the whole notion of who to talk to WRONG on this. Even if it was subbed out, you'd need to talk to Runesoft- and a WINE version's probably not a good idea. Now...if I could get access to the code, I'm pretty sure I can sort out a clean-up for OSX and Linux in a short time. Moreover, you need to talk to the publisher if they're a going interest and the original rights holder in the bigger scheme of things if you want a new update for Linux. Unfortunately, if I did it, I won't be able to allow it out for free- but if the rights story was good and we pushed it out via GoG/Steam/etc. getting the "update" would be cheap and subsequent updates as long as I was a going interest would be appropriately for nada.

As soon as people called him out on who could actually SUE him over his remarks, he changed his tune, if you'll notice.

Many people aren't properly circumspect in their remarks. I am. Had to be to be a CTO which I was at one point.

" In case we have the source code (and get it compiled), we will try to make a native port. In most cases we need to use Wine. "
If you don't have the source code, you DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHTS TO PUBLISH.
If you don't have the source code, you're NOT a developer. You're a modder at best.
If there's a rights holder around, there will be SOMEONE that will sue you over this.
The Linux port has LGP as the rights holder to the port in question with it devolving to Runesoft, followed by the original studio/publisher. The OSX version has a very similar story.

If he's not representing those entities (saying they're talking with their lawyers...), or the original studio (You would have the source code...hint...hint...) or the publisher (which would NOT be making "WINE ports" this way...and would likely have some way to get the source code...), then you're someone pretending to be a developer for the game and full of themselves, to be BRUTALLY BLUNT.

There's a reason why Ballistics isn't out on GoG right now, even though I want it to be. (I have assets and source code to that...)
There's a reason why Bandits:Phoenix Rising isn't out on GoG right now, even though I want it to be. (I have assets and source code to that...)
There's a reason why Disciples II isn't out on GoG for Linux right now, even though I want it to be. (Random and I have assets and source code to that...)

We can't find the rightsholder to get permission by way of a derivative works license to do so. We have code...they've said they don't.

Without CODE, you're not a dev for this title. You might be for the studio, but that's questionable. Guy's got balls to try to claim that the ports were illegally done with his current circumstances."

Svartalf commented thits topic on the forum at phoronix.com:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/linux-gaming/827411-gorky-17-for-linux-was-ported-illegally
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.