Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Distro list on User CP
HunterZ Oct 10, 2015
Any chance that Ubuntu MATE could be added to the distro list on the User CP? I'm using it these days after evaluating several distros for gaming performance. Turns out it works quite well because it uses a software compositor by default (which you can also turn off easily if even that is too much for you).

My second choice was Kubuntu, as it makes it easy to turn off the hardware compositor (menu and hotkey options available).
Liam Dawe Oct 26, 2015
Our server admin Levi has now added Ubuntu-Mate for you as I didn't have time :)
HunterZ Oct 31, 2015
Thanks! After 5+ months of using Ubuntu MATE exclusively on my dual-boot laptop, I'm now fully committed: the laptop died, so I'm now running Ubuntu MATE on my wife's old Macbook Pro that has similar specs. I refuse to use OSX, so it's Linux all the way!
oldrocker99 Nov 3, 2015
I'm also a big fan of Ubuntu MATE ; MATE has been my desktop of choice since it was 1.2, and a pure MATE Ubuntu experience with zero Unity is just what I wanted.
StianTheDark Nov 4, 2015
Hey! Why does Ubuntu MATE get a fantastic, wonderful green color while we Archers get a black and white logo :p Jealous!
Liam Dawe Nov 4, 2015
Quoting: StianTheDarkHey! Why does Ubuntu MATE get a fantastic, wonderful green color while we Archers get a black and white logo :p Jealous!

I need to get our actual designer to make one that's why :P
Liam Dawe Nov 5, 2015
The icon has now been updated, enjoy.
ricki42 Nov 5, 2015
The thread actually made me install Ubuntu-MATE on my PC. I was going to do a fresh install anyway going to Ubuntu 15.10, so instead of sticking with Xubuntu I went for Ubuntu-MATE. Pretty happy with it so far.
So thanks for posting this, and thanks Liam for adding it to the distro list!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.