Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Help installing DRM-free games from Humble [solved]
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
averyvh Oct 20, 2015
So I am trying to install some of my drm-free Humble games on my chromebook (yes it is x86 and running Lubuntu; I flashed SeaBIOS). Most of my games work fine, but a few seem don't seem to run at all. I open a terminal, chmod +x filename then ./filename but then I get an error: no such file or directory
No idea how that is possible, I used tab to autocomplete the filename, so it isn't a typo. Oddly enough, it is this same exact error on some games while the others work absolutely fine. I have even installed these same games on other computers without a problem before. I have checked the md5, no problem there. Even if I double click the file from a file manager and select execute, I get the same error.  no such file or directoryClearly there is such a file with such a name, because I just clicked on it.

Have only tried a couple of games, but this error is present on Volgarr the Viking, VVVVVV, and Super Meat Boy. Totally lost here guys; any Linux gurus with any ideas?
tuubi Oct 20, 2015
Try executing the installer (assuming it's a shell script as Humble's installers usually are) by calling
bash filename.sh
in case it's on a file system where your system does not allow setting the executable bit. This might be the case for ntfs-formatted or other "non-native" partition types. Also try moving the file to a different location to check if there's something weird going on with the path like special characters that the shell fails to escape properly.
Julius Oct 20, 2015
Are you sure it autocompleted all the way including possible extensions like .sh?
averyvh Oct 20, 2015
Files are in my downloads folder, which is on the same partition as everything else. Like I said, other games executed just fine from the same place. They aren't shell scripts; Humble games tend to be binaries of varying sorts.

I am sure it autocompleted right, because I get the same error when I type it all the way in, type it in with quotes, or just double click it from a file manager.
JudasIscariot Oct 21, 2015
Can you run a debugger with any of those files? For example, when you try to run a BIN file from terminal can you get a debug trace going to see if anything pops up?
averyvh Oct 21, 2015
Quoting: JudasIscariotCan you run a debugger with any of those files? For example, when you try to run a BIN file from terminal can you get a debug trace going to see if anything pops up?
Out of my depth here. Haven't used debuggers before.
Anyway I tried running supermeatboy-linux-11112013-bin with GDB but it gave me the same error about the file not existing.
I don't think it is a problem with the game itself, somehow the OS just can't run it. I am not knowledgeable enough in any of this stuff though.

Not a huge fan of Lubuntu anyway, I might try out another distro once I get the time. I hardly play games on my chromebook so this doesn't trouble me much.
tuubi Oct 21, 2015
Quoting: averyvhFiles are in my downloads folder, which is on the same partition as everything else. Like I said, other games executed just fine from the same place. They aren't shell scripts; Humble games tend to be binaries of varying sorts.
Really? Of all my Humble games (not that many though) only one is a binary installer. The rest are either straight up gzipped tarballs or shell scripts with an odd .deb thrown in. An old Trine (non EE) installer is the only exception in my collection. I'm sure you've tried redownloading, to another folder maybe? Could you provide a screenshot (or just the output) of ls -l and then of trying to run the installer from the same shell?

Sorry about the extremely generic troubleshooting questions. I'm not trying to annoy you, but it's always best to look for a simple explanation before deciding Occam's razor simply doesn't cut it. (Pardon the bad pun. )
eigensinnig Oct 21, 2015
Hi there:

I tried with Volgarr, because that's the same game I have from Humble Bundle. Used the bittorrent download link and got the following file:
VolgarrTheViking_v1.34_Linux32.tar.gz
That's so to speak a double packed archive, your package should return a directory when extracting it. Afterwards, I cd into the Volgarr directory and ran:
./Volgarr
I got the following error:
./Volgarr: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I am running a 64 bits ubuntu, and Volgarr is compiled with 32, so I had to install the 32 bits libSDL2 and then it ran fine!
tuubi Oct 21, 2015
@eigensinnig: This is pretty much what I thought was a likely scenario. I mean maybe he is actually running the game executable itself, not an installer, and either didn't extract the archive completely/correctly or is missing a dependency. That's why I asked for a directory listing and the actual terminal output of trying to run the command.

Humble's Linux packages seem to be of wildly varying quality. Many of them include either minimal documentation or none at all. Is a simple "readme" in every archive too much to ask for? Another reason to buy from stores like GOG I guess, especially if you're new to Linux.
averyvh Oct 21, 2015
Quoting: eigensinnigHi there:

I tried with Volgarr, because that's the same game I have from Humble Bundle. Used the bittorrent download link and got the following file:
VolgarrTheViking_v1.34_Linux32.tar.gz
That's so to speak a double packed archive, your package should return a directory when extracting it. Afterwards, I cd into the Volgarr directory and ran:
./Volgarr
I got the following error:
./Volgarr: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I am running a 64 bits ubuntu, and Volgarr is compiled with 32, so I had to install the 32 bits libSDL2 and then it ran fine!
Yep. that's what I did last time I installed Volgarr. This time it doesn't even give me a proper error message

Here is a screenshot: http://imgur.com/x16cU9i
my chromebook doesn't have a 'prt scr' button, so I had to run scrot at the same time.
averyvh Oct 21, 2015
Quoting: tuubi@eigensinnig: This is pretty much what I thought was a likely scenario. I mean maybe he is actually running the game executable itself, not an installer, and either didn't extract the archive completely/correctly or is missing a dependency. That's why I asked for a directory listing and the actual terminal output of trying to run the command.

Humble's Linux packages seem to be of wildly varying quality. Many of them include either minimal documentation or none at all. Is a simple "readme" in every archive too much to ask for? Another reason to buy from stores like GOG I guess, especially if you're new to Linux.
ofc I am running the game executable itself. When you download the game from HB that is the file that is downloaded, they don't give you an installer or archive. Volgarr the Viking is an archive, however, but does not work either.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.