Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
KDE multi monitor issues
Stupendous Man Jan 29, 2016
I'm having some issues while running some specific games in a multi monitor setup in KDE. I use KDE's Window Rules to target specific games for specific monitors, however a few games, mostly Unity games, don't have any window title, which means the Window Rules will apply for ALL games with no title.
Say, I set Kerbal Space Program to start on monitor 1, and then launch The Talos Principle which I want on monitor 2, but since none of those games have a window title they all start on monitor 1.
Does anyone have any solution to this? As it is, I have to regularly create and delete a Window Rule entry for title-less windows.
Games that do have a window title work as supposed, I create a rule that is specific to that game and it doesn't interfere with others.

Maybe someone knows of another way to target games for specific monitors (assuming the game itself doesn't gave that option, naturally. Only a few do).
herrgnatz Jan 31, 2016
Do you use the special window settings or the special application settings?

I usually set my preferences in the special window settings. This always worked for me.
Since I only have to do that once and I don't start a new game every day this doesn't bother me much.

When I used special application settings I had the same problem.
Stupendous Man Feb 1, 2016
I was using the special application setting, that may have been the problem. However, I think I've stumbled upon another solution to my problem by experimenting: If I set the Window Title and Window Class to Exact Match it seems to do the trick.
By doing this I've also managed to separate the regular Steam window from Big Picture, meaning I can now run Steam on one monitor and Big Picture on another!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.