Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Nouveau completly useless?
DasCapschen Feb 17, 2016
Hej,
I was wondering if this is a problem I have, or if anyone else is experiencing it too.
Basically I can't do anything with nouveau without my PC freezing. Strangely, most of the time the mouse cursor resumes to work, while keyboard and everything else is unresponsive.
Using the proprietary drivers, I have not a single problem...

I currently have 4 Distros:
Arch - Mate - games start, freeze
Manjaro - KDE - desktop freezes
OpenSuse - KDE - desktop freezes
Linux Mint - Cinnamon - 50% chance that games start, if they do, freeze

I'll upload any kind of log if you want, just tell me where to find it.

(I hope I posted this in the correct forum section)
Liam Dawe Feb 18, 2016
We need a little more than no information about your system, what gpu, cpu etc.
Samsai Feb 18, 2016
Also would be nice to hear what games we are talking about. Some will freeze your system 99.99% of the time, others will work essentially without a single problem. I remember Talos Principle being particularly tough to run on Nouveau.
DasCapschen Feb 18, 2016
Oh yes, of course, sorry, I don't know why I forgot that...

I've got an GTX 660ti 2GB
Intel i7 3770k
16GB RAM

Mint - Cinnamon - Kernel 3.19.0 - Nouveau 1.0.10
Manjaro - KDE - Kernel 4.1.17 - Nouveau 1.0.12
Arch - Mate - Kernel 4.4.1 - Nouveau 1.0.12
OpenSuse - KDE - Kernel 4.4.0 - Nouveau 1.0.12

And yes, I'm running all of these on partitions, not in VMs ; they have their own home folders so configs don't get messed up, but access the steam games from the same data harddrive.

I tried Cities Skylines, GRID Autosport, Starward Rogue and Dying Light, all freeze.
And as I said, even KDE Plasma freezes with Nouveau drivers.

Oh, and I could figure out it's Xorg, I found EQ Overflow in the logs.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.