Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Multiplayer in Total War games
Rhythagoras Mar 14, 2016
I recently picked up Total War: Attila as it went on sale last week via Steam. I was looking forward to trying out the multiplayer with a friend of mine, who happens to be a Windows user. Neither of us were able to connect with either of us hosting a game. So I went on the Total War forums to find more info, where I discovered in a particular thread that linked to the Mac FAQ for the game... that cross platform multiplayer was simply not implemented or supported. It was also slightly disheartening to see the multiplayer lobby/server browser on the Linux side of things completely empty. Makes me wonder if multiplayer is even supported at all for non-Windows users. Anybody have more info on this or want to test a Linux to Linux game on Attila? Or Empire? I've got that too. I also can't seem to find if this apparent lack of support for cross platform multiplayer will continue with Total War: Warhammer when it releases.
BTRE Mar 15, 2016
Empire has cross platform multiplayer between Linux and OSX clients because Feral worked to implement it in their ports.

AFAIK Attila was ported in-house and they haven't bothered to do the same. I sent CA an email when the game first came out asking, among other things, about cross-platform MP but they never replied. No idea if it actually works at all even if it's just Linux-Linux clients.

I'd offer to help you test it out but I'm rather busy during this week and can't commit to being available at a decent hour. Try the IRC channel to see if anyone else is available.

Hopefully they'll implement better multiplayer in their engine but it *is* CA we're talking about. Their engine is quite honestly a mess. I'm not sure if Warhammer will be released in a timely fashion for Linux either.
Rhythagoras Mar 18, 2016
Thanks for the offer, but I opted for a refund on Attila. I'll keep my eye on Warhammer, but I'm not expecting satisfaction.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.