Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Dirk Dashing 2 v0.6.3 is available!
MyGameCompany Oct 19, 2011
[CENTER][/CENTER]

The public demo for Dirk Dashing 2 v0.6.3 is now available!

This is the version that I just uploaded yesterday for the 2012 Independent Games Festival main competition. It features a brand new interactive music engine, over 200 new sound effects and ambient sound loops, guards that have the ability to hear and react to your movements, the ability for Dirk to tip-toe silently, three different skill levels to choose from, and a plethora of bug fixes and gameplay tweaks.

You can download the new trial beta from either of my sites:
http://www.dirkdashing.com/dirkdashing2.htm
http://www.mygamecompany.com/Products/DirkDashing2/main.htm

I've also updated the game trailer to show off some of the new features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHwjDy5L5J0
Liam Dawe Oct 25, 2011
Do you have any plans for more features in the game as it is still quite simple? (not saying that's a bad thing mind - just interested)
MyGameCompany Oct 26, 2011
I'm not planning too many more features for this episode. I've already spent 3 years adding new features to the game engine (lighting effects, weather effects, inventory system, health system, new moves like climbing and hanging, various stealth elements, more advanced audio system, better AI, customizable controls, and lots of little touches here and there), not to mention a much wider variety of background graphics and sound effects. With some of these features it's been a balancing act to add the capability and still keep the game relatively simple - like adding the complexity of an inventory system and the ability to sneak, climb, and hang. At this point, I really need to get this game done.

That said, there will be some new things yet for the remaining chapters. For Part 3, I've already added pressure plates, a new electrical hazard, and a new gadget. I'm also working on a new weapon that will be introduced in Chapter 3-3. The level designs will take advantage of the new stealth abilities, plus bring back some of the cartoon interactions from the first game that were lacking in Parts 1 and 2 (like more crates to drop on enemies and the ability to send robots and other wheeled objects careening into enemies). I also have a few other gadgets and weapons planned for Parts 4 and 5.

For the future, if there's a Dirk 3, I would be interested in hearing your ideas. You say the game is "still quite simple". Do you have any suggestions to make it better? I've already had numerous requests to add car chases and the ability for Dirk to drive a gadget-loaded car. I'm open to any ideas for Dirk 3.
Brandon Smith Oct 27, 2011
I must say, not bad! It's a game definitely would have played as a kid.
KIAaze Nov 3, 2011
Congratulations on entering the IGF: http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2012.php?id=439 :)

Ideas? Mmh, I only played demos of your games so far to be fair, but I suppose you could add in some hacking to open doors or get information and things like that, which could be done through some small puzzle games?

Or co-op on the same PC (one keyboard or multiple game controllers)! I think this might actually be great for parents to play with their kids (or kids together) since that is your target market. :)
(You could also do co-op over a network, but that is slightly harder to do and maybe even a bit less fun.)
MyGameCompany Nov 3, 2011
Those are some great ideas, KIAaze. Thanks!

The hacking idea reminds me a bit of Mr. Robot. That was a fun game.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.