Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein natively on Linux
Shmerl Apr 28, 2016
There is a big sale on various id Software games on GOG now, so I bought Return to Castle Wolfenstein there at last DRM-free, to replace my old CD version.

There are various projects which made originally released source code by id Software usable with up to date libraries like SDL2. The most promising and actively developed one is https://github.com/iortcw/iortcw

I got the source and tried building it on Debian testing (simply run make). There are two subprojects - single and multiplayer ones. I built both. You need various development packages obviously (like C compiler), and then SDL2 and the rest. On Debian testing for example make sure to install libsdl2-dev.

When building the source, it failed with not finding GL during linking. Apparently it's caused by Nvidia driver installation in some way. I was able to work around it by doing:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so

If you are in the same situation, you can remove that symlink later, after building. You also need original game files, which you can get on GOG, or may be you already have them from other sources. Here are files that were produced for single and multiplayer versions:

SP/build/release-linux-x86_64/iowolfsp.x86_64
SP/build/release-linux-x86_64/renderer_sp_opengl1_x86_64.so
SP/build/release-linux-x86_64/renderer_sp_rend2_x86_64.so
SP/build/release-linux-x86_64/main/cgame.sp.x86_64.so
SP/build/release-linux-x86_64/main/qagame.sp.x86_64.so
SP/build/release-linux-x86_64/main/ui.sp.x86_64.so

MP/build/release-linux-x86_64/iowolfmp.x86_64
MP/build/release-linux-x86_64/iowolfded.x86_64
MP/build/release-linux-x86_64/renderer_mp_opengl1_x86_64.so
MP/build/release-linux-x86_64/renderer_mp_rend2_x86_64.so
MP/build/release-linux-x86_64/main/cgame.mp.x86_64.so
MP/build/release-linux-x86_64/main/qagame.mp.x86_64.so
MP/build/release-linux-x86_64/main/ui.mp.x86_64.so

Place those files from */build/release-linux-x86_64/ and */build/release-linux-x86_64/main into corresponding directories where you placed you game (if it's from GOG, you can unpack it with innoextract and copy stuff from "app" directory to desired destination, and you'll have to rename Main to main, since it's not lowercase there).

I also patched the game to use XDG base directory specification, in order not to pollute $HOME. You can find patched version here. Hopefully they'll accept that upstream.

In order to enable widescreen resolution, find config files. In the patched version it's normally
$HOME/.local/share/return-to-castle-wolfenstein/main/wolfconfig.cfg
$HOME/.local/share/return-to-castle-wolfenstein/main/wolfconfig_mp.cfg

for single player, and multiplayer accordingly (unless you have explicit XDG_DATA_HOME defined, then look there). Set these values:

seta r_mode "-2"

This will use your native desktop resolution. Or you can set it explicitly to any resolution you want like this (for example 1920 x 1200):

seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customwidth "1920"
seta r_customheight "1200"

Those config files are created after you start the game for the first time. So modify them after exiting that first run.
legluondunet May 8, 2016
Works with the STEAM version but not with my old cd, thank you for this news, now I can play this game again on linux.
Shmerl May 8, 2016
@legluondunet: Glad it worked for you!
legluondunet May 10, 2016
Do you know a good Linux port for the old dos Wolfenstein 3D?
Shmerl May 10, 2016
Quoting: legluondunetDo you know a good Linux port for the old dos Wolfenstein 3D?

I didn't research it, but there is one like this: https://github.com/mozzwald/wolf4sdl

It looks outdated though (seems to be stuck with SDL1.2). It's likely an abandoned project.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.