Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Doom on Vulkan
manus76 May 8, 2016
This seems newsworthy: the new Doom will support Vulkan in the (near) future. Whether it will be on linux is not yet clear but I guess it isn't unreasonable to expect it would one day. Here the original news (in German):

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-05/doom-vulkan/
Samsai May 8, 2016
ID made it pretty clear that they won't be porting their games over, so unless that has for some reason changed we won't be seeing Doom 4 on Linux and thus I think we shouldn't care.
manus76 May 8, 2016
I'm afraid you could be right but is there some sort of official or semi-official statement from ID regarding this issue?
If they already have a running Vulkan version, not releasing it on linux (and other compatible platforms) wouldn't seem like a very logical step to me.
Liam Dawe May 8, 2016
They have never officially supported Linux, never actually sold Linux copies (just provided Linux exe downloads) and now Bethesda own them.

Hell will freeze first.
whatever May 8, 2016
It's still good news for those like me interested in the game. Vulkan support could mean a very good wine experience.

It's surprising that id Software is still using OpenGL (the only game developer in the world I guess) after Carmack's departure... I thought they already switched to DX...

It's good publicity for Vulkan in any case.
Mountain Man May 11, 2016
Quoting: manus76I'm afraid you could be right but is there some sort of official or semi-official statement from ID regarding this issue?
If they already have a running Vulkan version, not releasing it on linux (and other compatible platforms) wouldn't seem like a very logical step to me.
John Carmack made some rather disparaging remarks about Linux around the time Rage was in development, and the company never really changed its stance.
Amenophobis May 11, 2016
hmmm, if you look here, there is support for Doom3... started two months after offical windows release...

Doom 1 and other titels are supported too... it's not an elegant way of support, but it runs native...

For sure it will be better if Steam has a Linux version for easy install, but at the time when this games were released there was no steam for Linux...

I think positive and I would say they will support linux in the future... Vulkan can be a big game changer and I think it will be...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.