Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Denuvo and Linux
Adinimys May 20, 2016
It has been announced that Total War : Warhammer will use Denuvo in order to try to prevent piracy. This worries me regarding performances and the possibility to play the game when the Denuvo servers will eventualy be shut down.
But my question is, is there any game out on Linux already using this ? Is there information about the Linux compatibility of Denuvo ? I'm hoping that we won't get something along the line of : "We were forced to introduce Denuvo in our game because pirates so you won't see a port of TW:W on Linux because it isn't compatible with this OS"
Shmerl May 20, 2016
Yeah. Avoid this trash. Developers who use DRM and in particular such nasty type deserve to be completely ignored.
PublicNuisance May 29, 2016
Quoting: AdinimysIt has been announced that Total War : Warhammer will use Denuvo in order to try to prevent piracy. This worries me regarding performances and the possibility to play the game when the Denuvo servers will eventualy be shut down.
But my question is, is there any game out on Linux already using this ? Is there information about the Linux compatibility of Denuvo ? I'm hoping that we won't get something along the line of : "We were forced to introduce Denuvo in our game because pirates so you won't see a port of TW:W on Linux because it isn't compatible with this OS"

The other users have hit the nail on the head by saying that the best way to show your distaste for this DRM is to not buy any game using it. Here is a Wikipedia page showing which games use Denuvo. Not any Linux games on there that I noticed.
m2mg2 May 29, 2016
I think Homefront Revolution uses Denuvo? That may mean the port they said was coming is not. It would be nice to get an update on that game. Not that information from developers related to Linux ports have been reliable of late. The only consistent companies that follow through seem to be the big port houses; Feral, VP and Aspyr (although Aspyr haven't been producing much). Techland has been somewhat reliable, between Dead Island and Dying Light. If they come through with Riptide Definitive they'll definitely be on my good side (multiplayer issues aside).
Adinimys May 29, 2016
About the Wikipedia link, yeah I noticed after having posted in this forum (dumb me... ^^)

Anyway I'm still curious about what will happen for TW:W and Homefront. Either Denuvo works on Linux or it doesn't and the ports will be canceled or there might be a third possibilty if we dare to dream a lot... Denuvo doesn't work on Linux and so they will remove the DRM for the port :-D
(yeah, I know it won't happen... :-P )
PublicNuisance May 29, 2016
I don't know which would be worse: publishers making Denuvo work on Linux or us missing out on games due to it not working on Linux. In either case I wouldn't be buying them for a while. If a game has DRM the max i'll spend is $10, usually $5 unless I really want it. Homefront and TW:W will take a while to reach those prices.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.