You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
[LIVE - IN TESTING] Category-less forum view?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
damarrin Jun 8, 2016
I was wondering whether the forum wouldn't benefit from a view without categories, showing the newest threads from all categories in the default top view (if it's already implemented and I just haven't found the switch, ridicule me all you want but please point me to where I can change it).

I think categories are good where someone is just interested in one topic and absolutely doesn't want to see something else (think PS4 vs XBO), which I don't think is the case for most people on here and it just takes more clicks to find out what's new.

I think it might help liven up the discussion a bit as well (less clicks, seeing all updated threads at a glance).

What do you think?

Edit: something like the Latest posts at the bottom, but as the main view of the forum.
damarrin Jun 8, 2016
Also, perhaps you might consider making all the additional text (by ... on ... replies ... views ...) under the thread titles and the "last post" on the right quite a bit smaller. I personally find these tend to drown the thread title, which is the actual most important bit of info here.
Liam Dawe Jun 8, 2016
Shouldn't be too hard, could certainly look into it and have it as an option for people to choose.
Xpander Jun 8, 2016
that is actually another great idea.. i only check the latest posts section in the forum, im too lazy to go into different subforums, if there have been too many recent posts i might miss some because they are not in the latest posts section anymore
Ben D Jun 8, 2016
I also support this tweak.
Liam Dawe Jun 11, 2016
Might be looking into this next week.
rioboy Jun 11, 2016
this great idea
Liam Dawe Jun 11, 2016
Okay fuck it, been working on it tonight. Will be done in a few days hopefully. I totally agree our current way of using categories doesn't really do much good so I'm moving it over.
Liam Dawe Jun 12, 2016

Little preview of what is to come. I personally like it quite a bit better so I'm glad I'm doing it.

Still multiple issues to solve, but it's nearing ready.

Uses persons avatar for the image beside it, amount shown per page uses the new system you set in your user control panel too that I added recently.

On small screen sizes (like mobile) it will scale a lot better than the current way too. Elements will get hidden from view instead of all the content being tiny. It actually now looks far more inviting on mobile which is great.

Something I am not sure on: How to show important sticky topics.
Liam Dawe Jun 21, 2016
Okay it's up, feedback needed.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/
Xpander Jun 21, 2016
nice work... so far so good.. i will keep testing and if i see something odd i will surely scream here :)

thanks!

edit:

is there a possibility to add a button to go back into the forum from the end of the comments.

atm i have to scroll all the way up and click on the forum.

the Blue GamingOnLinux top panel doesnt move along either
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.