Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Linux with Vulkan and the importance of core count vs. core speed?
GustyGhost Jun 9, 2016
With the advent of multithreaded graphics APIs, will you be pursuing CPUs with more cores or faster cores? Sure, you can pay out for CPUs that have both high core count and really fast cores but let's assume you haven't inherited your father's oil tycoon. Which has a brighter future with Vulkan?
Xpander Jun 9, 2016
i'd take more cores even without vulkan.. just because i dont use my pc only for gaming, but lots of other tasks also.
GustyGhost Jun 10, 2016
Let's say a genie from a bottle has made you a magical offer: He asserts that he will double the core count of your 8320 but, in return, it's clock will be cut in half to 2.2Ghz. Do you take him up on it?
Xpander Jun 10, 2016
Quoting: AnxiousInfusionLet's say a genie from a bottle has made you a magical offer: He asserts that he will double the core count of your 8320 but, in return, it's clock will be cut in half to 2.2Ghz. Do you take him up on it?

yes.. i OC the shit out of it :D
well ofc it depends what clocks also. I didnt mean that huge edge cases. but i'd take 8 core xeon with 2,6ghz before 3,5 ghz 4 core
GustyGhost Jun 11, 2016
I happened upon this interesting study by PC Perspective on CPU strength for gaming.

According to the results, only mid-range or higher end GPUs see benefits from stronger CPU. Higher resolution and higher settings will reduce the impact of an under performing CPU.

Also noteworthy is that Mantle (and, by extension, Vulkan) helps the most for increasing minimum framerates and really only does so for mid-range or higher end GPUs. This applies to all CPU configurations, high end or low end.

So if you're using a UHD monitor, max'ing all settings, a high end video adapter and your library already contains the few Vulkan titles that are currently available do you then take the genie up on his offer?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.