Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
games save only as root
Purple Pudding Jun 30, 2016
I recently installed 2 GOG games, they work very well but they keep memory of the save only if executed as root (sudo ./start.sh).

There's a way to enable the saves to normal users too? Or to run them as superuser without entering the terminal?

Many thanks!

PP
Liam Dawe Jul 1, 2016
I'm guessing you accidentally installed them as root? GOG games should not be installed like that.
Purple Pudding Jul 1, 2016
I resolved the issue, thanks!

I set the folders to be writable (and readable) by everyone (so no more problems!) also because I'm trying tu run them from the steam library ("add to steam" button)... Should I have set the folders to be writable (and readable) for the same group of steam to enable save?

The games saves were in two different places... one game created a folder ".gamename" with root privileges (only root could open it) in home while the other saved the progress in the game folder, who seemed free from but the saves worked only when i extended the privileges...

I installed the games normally, from the gog sh... (chmod a+x then sudo ./gog_gamename.sh)

Also, I'm wondering...is possible to move the saves to other folders?

Many thanks!

PP

Edit: Liam got the problem! I thought that when installing something, I had to be root... I was wrong! Is it only for GOG games or for other application too?
damarrin Jul 1, 2016
It's possible to install games from gog as su, I have done this when I wanted a game to be accessible for multiple users on the machine, installing it to /opt. The only downside was the desktop launcher was then owned by root and had to be chowned by hand.

A user doesn't have to have write permissions to the game's directory, nothing gets written there when running the game. Unless the game creates config directories in the user's home during installation no harm is done.

Running the game for the first time as su, however, is a big no-no, as then all the config directories created during first run will be owned by root and will have to be manually chowned to the user, or deleted to be recreated on next (non-sudo) run. This also pertains to the installer (run by su) automatically starting the game at installation's end - it will then also run by su.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.