Gamepad for Linux
nibu Jan 31, 2012
Hey Folks,
I am looking for a new gamepad for some time now. At the moment I have a Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 but I don't have any luck with it on Linux, it's simply almost impossible to play games like Trine or Shank with it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/902381
http://askubuntu.com/questions/63138/logitech-rumble-gamepad-f510

I think because Linux is getting popular as a gaming platform we do need good gamepad drivers for Linux.

What gamepad could you recommend for me? What's about Xbox gamepad? Any advices are welcome.

Cheers,
nibu
Hamish Jan 31, 2012
I would have thought that a Logitech would have worked...

At any rate, it really depends on two factors: whether the manufacturer officially supports Linux (such as what Roccat does, though they do not appear to have gamepads) or if they can be reverse engineered (like most Logitech devices are as is the Xbox controller I believe).

Still, having never used one, I can not give you much more help than that.
nibu Feb 2, 2012
I am thinking about a small pc with different emulators on it and using it as a console. But without a proper gamepad it does not make sense. Are there no gamers trying to use modern gamepads on Linux? What could we do to get better drivers?
Xpander Feb 3, 2012
i rarely use gamepad, once a year maybe. i have some grappy defender gamepad, which so far have been working good with trine and some racing games i used to play through wine. but i dont use it much, i prefer keyboard and mouse. thats probably because i have used keyboard+mouse combo for the most time in my life, since 1992 or so. havent really played games on consoles.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.